Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
singdeep
Paper Tape
Views: 22,295
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad 100S M.2 SSD Upgrade

I loved the size and price point of the Lenovo Ideapad 100S. However, of course because it only came with 30GB of hard drive space, Windows 10 basically maxed it out immediately. So, tonight I just tried to do something about it. I purchased a Samsung M.2 SSD 256 GB. I have a screenshot and I really think I installed it right. I just can't figure out how to get the bios to recognize it. Disk management doesn't show it at all. I rebooted into bios and reset defaults and restarted to no avail. What did I do wrong here? Is it just that the Ideapad can't recognize this particular M.2 SSD? Please see the screenshot I have attached. Any suggestions on how to get the bios to recognize this? Thank you ever so much for any suggestions! -Tom Tobey - Fort Wayne, USA

singdeep
Paper Tape
Views: 22,274
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad 100S M.2 SSD Upgrade

Someone please please help me! I am absolutely devasted by this! I spent my last dollar trying to get my computer upgraded... Why won't this lenovo recognize this m.2 SSD hard drive? Please please help me! Lenovo community? Like pretty pease with sugar on top?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 22,271
Message 3 of 6

You don't say which 100s you have.  There's an 11 and a 14.  The base spec for the 11 doesn't mention an m.2 capability.  The 14 does but only describes a SATA controller, and doesn't say anything about NVMe.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Laptops/ideapad%20100S%20(11_)/Ideapad_100S_11inch_...

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Laptops/ideapad%20100S%20(14_)/IdeaPad_100S_14inch_...

I have no personal experience with either model but my guess is that there's the problem.  The SSD in your picture is an NVMe drive, but the 100s only supports SATA m.2 drives.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

singdeep
Paper Tape
Views: 22,248
Message 4 of 6

Thank you, thank you for this posting! This is exactly the info I needed! :-) 

I see someone else did what I did and just like this person, I am glad to know what I did wrong:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3574056/inserted-nvme-ssd-sata-slot-motherboard-accepts-sata-...

singdeep
Paper Tape
Views: 22,142
Message 5 of 6

Urgh! I messed up my second try. I thought sure I told the guy at Best Buy M.2. I got home and realized it was a Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 EVO mSATA. Not M.2! So it was too wide. I need to do some more research and make sure I get M.2 SATA 256 GB or less and give that a try. Not sure if the Vertical NAND (V-NAND) is OK. How many acronyms do I have to be aware of to get the right thing?

wildman5354
Paper Tape
Views: 1,901
Message 6 of 6

only accepts M.2 2280 , NO NVMe! the connector end MUST have TWO notches - see pic - i used a

WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280 - WDS250G2B0B and it worked. i am having trouble making it the BOOT drive, though. anyone help on this?

thanks

61-otMdwTgL._SL1280_.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors