cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jyu1688
Paper Tape
Views: 7,942
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 100s - How to boot Linux from USB?

I recently just got a new Ideapad 100s and I have Windows 10 currently installed on the computer. I want to start using Linux, but I can't seem to boot the OS from my USB key. I have reached the BIOS on the computer, but there seems to be minimal options for the user to change. Below are links to two images of how the BIOS and Boot Menu look like currently. As you can see, the USB option is not available in the Boot Menu. Can someone instruct me on which settings I should change in order to start using Ubuntu? 

BIOS

Boot Menu

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

graveur
Paper Tape
Views: 7,368
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad 100s - How to boot Linux from USB?

The 100S can only boot from USB Stick containing an UEFI 32 bit (!) boot loader, which is not trivial, as most Linux distributons use a UEFI 64 bit boot loader. Search for "UEFI 32 bit" and some manual work is needed to create one. Once you have a stick with this on it, the boot menu will show a new entry, which the UEFI Boot USB Stick.
Quickness05328
What's DOS?
Views: 6,131
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad 100s - How to boot Linux from USB?

Have you successfully booted from a USB using this machine (ideapad 100s)? I ask because I have been trying to boot using the usb with Peppermint 7 (32-bit) OS, and I used rufus to create the UEIF bootable usb. But, I have still had zero luck using either the boot menu or going through the UEIF options using windows 10. Any ideas? Does Ideapad 100s even allow boot from usb?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors