Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mg001
What's DOS?
Views: 2,500
Message 1 of 2

Ideapad 100s W10 Bios USB

Hello

I'm trying to  boot-up and run a OS from a USB flash drive. On a LT or PC, you go into bios select USB etc.  When accessing bios/configuration on the Ideapad 100s with W10, there is no selection to choose from. USB,CD etc. I'm faced with the following.

Secure Boot-On

Secure Boot - Enabled

Platform Mode - User Mode

Secure Boot - Standard

Hotkey Mode - On

Bios Back Flash - Off

Can anyone tell me what i need to do so i can boot from a USB?

Thanks

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,460
Message 2 of 2

Re: Ideapad 100s W10 Bios USB

@mg001 wrote:

I'm trying to  boot-up and run a OS from a USB flash drive.

I have never used an Ideapad 100s, so the following are just guesses:

(1) Disable "Secure Boot" in the BIOS.  You must then exit the BIOS saving the changes, allow Windows to start, then shutdown Windows and power off the system.  Then restart the system and re-enter the BIOS.  With luck, the BIOS will now show additional settings.  With even more luck, you may be able to select "Legacy Support" and "Legacy First".

(2) If (1) does not work, it probably means that your laptop does not support booting in legacy mode.  If this is the case, you need to ensure that the USB memory stick that you are trying to boot is properly configured.

When you use Windows 10 "Settings" dialogue to create a Windows 10 USB Recovery drive, Windows 10 initialises the memory stick with both UEFI boot files and legacy boot files.  When you try to boot the memory stick, the BIOS will select the appropriate boot files, according to the mode enabled on the laptop (UEFI or legacy).  If you create a USB memory stick that contains only legacy boot files, and the laptop is operating in UEFI boot mode, the memory stick won't boot.

If this is the case, you need to ensure that whatever operating system you are trying to boot has UEFI boot files on the memory stick.  Good luck.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors