Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shipsinthenight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 784
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad 110 - Laptop won't turn off after update

recently updated my Lenovo Ideapad 110 -- today, in fact. It seemed fine, but a few hours later, it froze and now it won't turn off. During this, I had just had my external hard drive plugged in and unmounted it properly. It umounted, but the screen suddenly froze and my music stopped.

I've unplugged it and tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds and that did nothing. The battery is internal, and I'm uncertain if I should try to take it out.

At the moment, it's sitting to the side, unplugged, screen still frozen while I wait for it to hopefully die and this can be fixed. Any other ideas? I'm getting really worried.

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Charles1231
802.11n
Views: 740
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad 110 - Laptop won't turn off after update

Hello,

It could be that the Windows Update has corrupted your OS.

I suggest to do a system restore point to your laptop before the update.

If it does not work, you have to do a full reset of your laptop's OS in the Windows Diagnostic Screen (the blue one.)
shipsinthenight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 738
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the response. I suspect this was the reason.

I did manage to get it going again by following other advice here. I waited for the battery to die completely (3+ hrs...I've never been annoyed that my laptop's battery lasted so long, but here I was, irritated that I had a full charge and had to wait so long!) and then had to use a small pin to push that tiny, tiny button in the hole side of the computer to turn it back on -- powering it on with the power button itself wasn't working. Doing that worked, but I'm still worried. Funny enough, the reason my external harddrive was plugged in was because I was backing up everything...I'm glad I did that before all of this happened!

I'll do the system restore, because I didn't think of that, and I don't want this to happen out of nowhere again.

Charles1231
802.11n
Views: 730
Message 4 of 4

Good it got fixed.

To avoid this to happen again, you can disable windows updates by disabling its service in services.msc .

Also set your network/WiFi connection as metered connection. It will disable most of windows updates, but probably not the security ones - but they are important for the better security of your laptop, and won't cause problems.

Once disabled, you can mostly have your own discretion in updating windows. In short, you will update it manually.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors