Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshua181
What's DOS?
Views: 81
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad 14 520s not charging after SSD upgrade

I bought the laptop and upgraded the SSD to a 500GB Crucial MX500 2.5", as the laptop only came with a 128GB m.2. 

The laptop seems to be charging intermittently. One day it will charge, the next, it won’t.

Sometimes it will charge powered off, sometimes it will not.

I can have it plugged in charging, then remove the power cord and plug it back in, and it will stop charging.

The charging is not an issue when I remove the Crucial SSD and replace it with the original m.2.

I have tried new power cords.

I have re-seated the SSD and made sure the cradle is screwed in properly and securely. 

I have tried uninstalling the ACPI battery driver, shutting down and powering it back on with the charger plugged in.

I have updated the chipset drivers and flashed the BIOS to the newest update. 

I have changed the SATA controller from Intel RST to AHCI and booted back into Safe mode to load the new drivers. 

I have even tried downloading the lenovo management tool Vantage, that has been useless and all troubleshooting I do indicate that the battery is fine.

But all the above have not resolved the issue. 

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 51
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad 14 520s not charging after SSD upgrade

fwiw, did you clone old SSD to the new one?

Joshua181
What's DOS?
Views: 32
Message 3 of 4

Yes, I did.

I used Acryonis True image software 

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 21
Message 4 of 4

This is bizarre with no simple answer.  It looks more like a hardware issue, than software (Windows) imho.

I wouldn't have thought the cloning process would affect how the laptop charges particularly when it is switched off.

Try turning off Windows 'Fast Startup', and observe the charging behaviour when Windows is 'shut down' and battery is in a low charge state.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Installing a clean install of Win 10 using Windows 10 Installation media downloaded from MS website is only suggestion, but I'm not convinced it is a software issue, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I use the linux based Rescue Media in TrueImage rather than the Windows app.   You could try a different cloning product to see if there is any change in behaviour.  I've found AOMEI backupper to be reliable when all others fail to clone due to disk errors .  (I think techies on HP forums recommend it)

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Trying a different make of 2.5" SSD would determine whether the issue is specific to the MX500, or to all 2.5" SSD fitted to your 320.

It could be the MX500 is not compatible with your 320, or there is an obscure motherboard fault with your 320.

Unfortunately, Crucial closed down their user forum many years ago.   You could try phoning or live chat to Crucial but it wouldn't surprise me if they deny any problems.

I've bought many Crucial SSD from M4 to  MX500, and not had any issues with any of them.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors