cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NateNeedsHelp
Paper Tape
Views: 428
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 300-15ISK Not booting: Stuck on Logo Screen/Caught in Windows Repair Loop

Since (automatically) downloading a windows 10 update and restarting twice, my laptop has refused to boot up.

It won't boot normally, and using the novo button either gives me boot/BIOS/setup options, or sends me to windows repair, though I have to spend anywhere bewteen 10-60 minutes looking at the lenovo logo before this actually happens.

I've tried a number of different bios and boot changes to no avail (though I will admit that I've been following advice fromforums etc, and not all of them match up to what I'm seeing on my own screen).

Attempting any of the Windows repair options just restarts the computer and ends up back at windows repair. Going back to the previous version fails, as does attempting to repair problems. Changing restart options dosn't actually let me (dis)able anything from that screen, and instead says that it will let me upon restarting (it doesn't).

I've also drained my battery (until even the LED battery doesn't flash when attempting to turn on), unplugged my laptop, and held the power button for 10, 20, and 30 seconds.

I don't have any restore points saved and I really don't want to do a clean install or a system reset, as I have a couple of weeks worth of work that I would really like to save (I try and backup once a month, more fool me I suppose).

I don't really care about fixing this laptop as it's done this after only a little over a year (the fastest I've ever had a laptop fail!). What I really want is to get my laptop to boot up just once so that I may copy my recent files from my hard drive. Can anyone help me achieve this?

Other things of note: I've lost count with how many times I've rebooted my laptop, but interestingly when this first started happening, leaving my laptop on wouldn't result in windows repair, but would instead briefly flash a "PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable / PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM" message before going back to the logo screen. This doesn't display anymore after my battery/power button attempts.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 414
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad 300-15ISK Not booting: Stuck on Logo Screen/Caught in Windows Repair Loop

@NateNeedsHelp wrote:

I really want is to get my laptop to boot up just once so that I may copy my recent files from my hard drive. ...  briefly flash a "PXE-E61 media test failure

The PXE message means that the system is trying to boot from the LAN because it cannot boot from the HDD.  This might be because the Windows system on the HDD is corrupted, or the HDD is starting to fail.

To save your personal files, do one of the following:

(1) Open the laptop, remove the HDD, and connect it to another computer using a SATA-to-USB adapter.

(2) Create a Windows install image on a USB memory stick and boot the memory stick.  Then open a command window, find the drive letter for your HDD, navigate to the folders containing your personal files, and use the COPY or XCOPY commands to copy those files to another USB disk.

You can download a Windows 10 install image from Microsoft.  You need to create the bootable USB memory stick correctly.  Many people do this wrongly, and find that the memory stick does not boot.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

NateNeedsHelp
Paper Tape
Views: 382
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad 300-15ISK Not booting: Stuck on Logo Screen/Caught in Windows Repair Loop

Thank you for your help! I'd never heard of XCOPY before, but I've manged to get all the files off my D drive that I needed using this method. My C drive is inaccessible (chkdsk stated thatit's RAW format, whih I suppose is the root of of all my problems) so I'll probably have to write off anything on there.

Thanks again! 

Top Kudoed Authors