Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grunf73
Paper Tape
Views: 1,482
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad 300-15ISK Win XP? Need help

Did anyone successfully installed XP on Lenovo Ideapad 300-15ISK and how?

There is no AHCI mode selection option in bios.

When I tried to install XP only I got is BSOD and errors A5 or 7B.

I need XP for some software I bought long time ago and paid much more than a laptop, so if I can´t install XP laptop is unusable for me. 

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,470
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad 300-15ISK Win XP? Need help

@grunf73 wrote:

I need XP for some software I bought long time ago and paid much more than a laptop, so if I can´t install XP laptop is unusable for me.

Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate both support a Windows XP emulation mode that allows Windows XP applications to run.  If you cannot install XP successfully, you could buy a Windows 7 DVD and try installing that.  (Note: not Windows 7 Home.)

Installing Windows 7 can be quite a challenge, but it is possible.  I have done this on an Ideapad 700-15ISK, but many drivers were missing.  Fortunately, the Lenovo website has most of the missing drivers for Windows 7 for the 700-15ISK, but Lenovo may not provide them for the 300-15ISK, so you should check that before embarking on a Windows 7 install.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

grunf73
Paper Tape
Views: 1,462
Message 3 of 7

Thank You for quick response, but I´m afraid that Win 7 and XP emulation mode will not solve the problem. Among other software that I need on almost daily basis is Motorola Radio Service Software for programming different two-way radios that will not work in win7 (tested). I was hoping that I can easily copy disk from current laptop, otherwise I have to spend a two weeks just installing software and again carry multiple laptops. What a waste of time and money.

At the end looks like Ideapad will be used as a serving tray.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,458
Message 4 of 7

I have not tried to install XP on new hardware, but I would think it would have issues supporting the newer hardware and BIOS.  

I have been able to get some old XP only software to run on later versions of Windows with some wrangling, but the easiest way I have found is to install Oracle's free VirtualBox software and run XP in a window under Windows 10 etc..

It is really easy to setup, and once installed, you just launch Windows XP in a window, and then install your software into the virtual machine (VM) just as you would on real hardware..   It gets around the hardware issues by virtualizing them, so it works pretty slick, letting you choose how much RAM to allocate, and where to create the virtual HD for the VM etc.

Microsoft has Virtual PC for Windows 7 Pro, and Hyper-V for Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro, but it requires you have the pro versions, where as Oracle's VirtualBox does not.

Download VirtualBox

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

It is pretty cool

Cheers, 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,454
Message 5 of 7

It will not be running in Windows 7, if you run the VM and install it into Windows XP running in the VM, it will be running in XP.    

jinx100
802.11n
Views: 1,416
Message 6 of 7

I've had good luck running XP programs on 32 bit Win 7 and 32 bit Win 10 in the compatibility modes. Try your software on a Ideapad 100s-11 if you can borrow one or find a store with a good return policy. The old solitaire games and a 16 bit windows version of AutoSketch can be run on my 100s-11 with Win 10 Home 32.

grunf73
Paper Tape
Views: 1,383
Message 7 of 7

First, I would like to thank to all of you.

Here is sad story about man who was thinking laptops are backwards compatible.

After 30+ hrs dealing with drivers, compatibility issues, virtual machines, disk images and one unplanned visit to ER@local hospital due to fatigue result is:

Murphy 4 Me 0

-winXP speed in Virtual Box on 2+GHz machine is comparable to Celeron@300,  unusable for antenna optimization software

-approx 30% of motorola two-way radio programming software works OK, another 20% works from time to time, rest does not work at all.

-all software for plc programming works, but connection to plc mostly does not 

-all other unneeded software works without problems

What´s left from Ideapad finished hanging on the wall after defenestration and flight into the backyard that ended on concrete pavement.

Buying it was biggest mistake in my life.

Wasting more money for another user-unfriendly Microsoft product was second.

Sorry for bothering you.

“Loading new software into new computers and using it for the first time was like playing Russian roulette.”
― Gene Kranz, retired NASA Flight Director and manager

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors