cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sugartech
Paper Tape
Views: 459
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad 305 - Is my new Lenovo defective?

I purchased a Lenovo i305 earlier today with an Intel Pentuim processor (n3540), windows 8.1 64 bit. 

I found immediately upon using the internet that the colors online were dull in images and in videos on Youtube. I played around with the gamma, contrast, saturation etc. and have found that despite this, the colors are dull, the screen seems foggy/washed out and images and videos and Netflix are grainy and pixelated (the image quality reminds me of a low quality HD TV).  In the intel graphic device, I have put the saturation up to the full 100 and whilst there's color, surely it should be intensely vibrant? 

I have also found that images are grainy on the Internet, including the webcam camera too. 

I plugged the laptop into an external monitor, the monitor showed no grain, nor dullness of color. The colors are vibrant and there is no fuzziness/grain on images. 

I have also found many viruses and trojans whilst doing scans on a completely brand new laptop. The start up is also slow and the laptop lags, especially on the internet. I don't play any games or have installed any programmes yet. Is this down to the processor or is there further problems? The laptop has also struggled to boot several times. 

I am wondering if this is a defective laptop I have purchased, if the screen is actually bad on the laptop I have purchased (I have heard the low quality screens have been common issue with new Lenovo laptops) or if there is a driver I can download to sort out this fuzziness in videos and images and the color dullness? 

PC world told me that they have actually stopped stocking this laptop, but couldn't disclose the reasons why. Has anyone else got one who has experienced similar issues?

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 437
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad 305 - Is my new Lenovo defective?

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of all your problems.  The simplest solution would be to just return it to the place of purchase since it is brand new for a refund or exchange.

Regarding your comment about the trojans and viruses makes me wonder if the store had sold you a system that had been previously owned and returned.  I have a variety of Lenovo products and never experienced this with a new out of the box system.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

sugartech
Paper Tape
Views: 424
Message 3 of 4

Hi, thanks for the response. Yeah I am experiencing lagging, and I've just noticed that when I go onto certain web pages like Facebook, a virus page loads first (i.mathsanalytics.com). Could the lagging be the processor? Youtube videos despite having completely loaded also start and stop. The washed out screen is also concerning - is it like this on all Lenovo's? I have a lot of grain in the images on the internet, and articles and some web pages fail to load and actually freeze. 

I intend to return it and purchase one of the same model in an exchange, but I was wondering if this system model is faulty or if I have picked up a bad one as I don't want to purchase another one and have the same exact things happen.  I've never experienced any of this before on a new laptop, regardless of the make. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 417
Message 4 of 4

The problems you are experiencing isn't common with Lenovos.  If you are in doubt about getting the same model in an exchange, ask to try one before you buy it.  In fact I would recommend trying out any computer in the store to see if it meets your needs prior to buying.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors