cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shrudder
Paper Tape
Views: 1,858
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad 320S 14lkb 80x4 installation of Intel Optane 16GB - Unsupported BIOS error

Hi 

I have recently purchased Ideapad 320s 14lkb 80x4 which has a support of Intel Optane 16GB - as per product manual and product feature page.

I also purchased Intel Optane 16GB separately as the option for Optane pre-installed wasn't available from the seller. After installing the hardware in M.2 slot it is visible in the BIOS and in the disk management of Windows 10.

I have also updated the BIOS version to the latest version 1.06.

I have also installed the latest driver from the Intel Website. However when I run the intel optane software for acceleration, it says that the BIOS is not supported (refer attached screen shot)

I relate this to some BIOS settings. Please help solve this issue. 

I have also raised this with Intel and they are less likely to provide a solution as they haven't listed 320s motherboard as a officially supported one. However on the product page of Lenovo 320s 14lkb 80x4 - support for intel optane is one of the Key Unique Selling Propositions.

The error I am facing is attached in the screen shot.

shrudder
Paper Tape
Views: 1,839
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad 320S 14lkb 80x4 installation of Intel Optane 16GB - Unsupported BIOS error

For all those who are in market for ideapad 320s 14lkb and are thinking of upgrading using intel optane 16gb

Please note that I had raised this as ticket also to lenovo support [Incident: 170905-003015]. The support called me and they started a remote session and without doing much, they said this is Intel problem.

So beware when you buy this model considering that Optane 16GB is supported. It is mentioned as a key feature on their model page here, but they don't seem to have and answer when it comes to upgrade issues - you are on your own here.

Let's see if someone in the forum can help or throw some light.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,824
Message 3 of 4

Re: Ideapad 320S 14lkb 80x4 installation of Intel Optane 16GB - Unsupported BIOS error

You may have to make some changes in the BIOS to enable Optane support.    I found the two support documents below which discuss enabling Optane on desktop systems.       They do not discuss laptops specifically, but perhaps they can point you in the right direction.   

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht504149

https://support.lenovo.com/by/en/solutions/ht504150

Good Luck,

shrudder
Paper Tape
Views: 1,806
Message 4 of 4

Thanks JD

Had seen these links earlier. 

The sad part is on the spec page it shows Intel Optane is supported on Ideapad 320s, but now with "Unsupported BIOS" error I am stuck with a new ideapad 320s and a new Intel Optane 16GB - waste of money and time.

There is no way to know whether it will be supported in near future or not. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors