Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 971
Message 1 of 16

Ideapad 330 17ICH SSD Running Hot

I've been exploring battery usage and temperature, and I'm noting today this thing runs hot, even though I'm averaging 6.5% CPU. I noticed a bunch of things were using the GPU, like Word, Chrome, and some others, which I shut off access to. At the same time, Speedfan is telling me my SSD is running hot at 51C. ProcessHacker says I'm averaging 350kB I/O total.

This is my usual operating system, a few windows open, Chrome, Word, Access, WinAmp, and a few other things, but nothing that should be making this thing so hot. Any tips?

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 962
Message 2 of 16

Re: Ideapad 330 17ICH SSD Running Hot

Download CPUID HWmonitor to help monitor temps.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 954
Message 3 of 16

SS.1536690620.jpg

SS.1536690803.jpg

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 939
Message 4 of 16

Download this gadget pack. Install the ALL CPU  meter gadget.

https://8gadgetpack.net/

Your cpu temps could be lower by 20 degrees if you apply new Thermal Paste.

Your SSD appears a touch warm. Good airflow movement?

My 2nd HDD spinner sits on the floor of the desktop tower (Lenovo location). (113 F)

My 1st HDD spinner is in a tower bay, disconnected, to be used in emergency boot. 

My SSD is in a tower bay also, in front of the forward fan. I have 2nd fan in rear of tower. (86 F).

hw  temp.PNG

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 930
Message 5 of 16

Thanks for your insights. One of my limitations is that this is a laptop, which isnt' well-known for airflow. I have verified the fans are both running, and that it's on a hard flat surface and no dust (machine is like a month old), but apparently something got messed up in my software and settings?

I attemted to install the latest driver for the SSD and fracked the OS up good, wouldn't boot to Windows and couldn't even restore my system to a previous restore point (tried three different restore points). After spending a few hours reinstalling the OS and all my software (I think I got it all), my temperatures are much better. Still, I don't particularly care for the fact that it's running so hot, especially for a new machine. Is this normal for an M.2? (I think I'm still going to look at buying a heatsink (found a couple on Amazon that might do the trick).

SS1536752567.jpg

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 928
Message 6 of 16

Is the screenshot above the same machine as you discussed earlier?

You have changed the internal configuration.

If you tried to find m.2 drivers, you wasted a lot of time.

Firmware update to the SSD is another issue and very risky.

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 919
Message 7 of 16

Yeah, the driver search was a waste of time, but a an excellent teachable moment (never gonna try that again). Otherwise, yes, the screenshot from HWM is of the same machine, and I haven't changed anything else.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 917
Message 8 of 16

1st screen  is RPFT...., 2nd screen is wdc wd10m.. st100l shows in both.

What device is RPFT and the western digital?

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 914
Message 9 of 16

Yeah, I'm looking at the discrepancy now. I'm sorry, I messed something up. The WD is a portable HDD, the ST1000 is the onboard 1TB HDD, and where the funk is my SSD? Smiley Mad

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 912
Message 10 of 16

Lost in la la land! I am glad you are not my dentist!Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors