Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LoneWolffe
Not applicable
Views: 689
Message 11 of 16

Re: Ideapad 330 17ICH SSD Running Hot

Got a lot on my mind, and the laptop's supposed to be much lower on my priority list. So I dug a little, and RPFT isn't showing up on HWM because I don't even know. This is what SpeedFan returned on scan:

ProbeSCSI: WARNING: hard disk skipped because of invalid returned LogSense data
Found SCSI drive RPFTJ128PDD2EWX (128.0GB)
Found LENOVO 81FL

Smiley Sad

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
sclexman
Not applicable
Views: 682
Message 12 of 16

SCSI sounds like some 128GB SD card or similar.

LoneWolffe
Not applicable
Views: 680
Message 13 of 16

This laptop is really getting on my nerves (and I have few left). The drive is NVMe PCI-E M.2 SSD 128 GB. I was able to get a temp reading out of SmartDefrag:

SS1536762867.jpg

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
CyberSimian
Not applicable
Views: 672
Message 14 of 16

NVMe M.2 SSDs have a reputation for running hot.  Allegedly, SATA M.2 SSDs run cooler, but I have no personal experience of that.  However, I suspect that your laptop works only with NVMe M.2 SSDs (most/all of the current Lenovo models are like this). 

My 700-15ISK has an NVMe M.2 SSD, and that runs hot when used as the OS drive.  Other Lenovo users have noticed similar high temperatures:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/y520-SSD-Temperature-problem/m-p/4142333

It should be the case that if your SSD becomes too hot, it will start to "throttle", i.e. the SSD's firmware will slow it down in order to reduce the generation of heat.  So your SSD should be safe, but of course you won't get the performance that you were expecting.  The current generation of NVMe SSDs really need to be attached to the copper cooling bar, to conduct the heat away to the fan, but I am not aware of any laptop that does that.

A glue-on cooler with fins that you attach to the SSD is unlikely to work because (a) it won't fit, and (b) there is insufficient space for cooling by convection to occur.  A thermal pad that sits between the SSD and the bottom casing, and presses on both, might work to conduct the heat from the SSD to the bottom casing.  If you try this, let us know if it works.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

LoneWolffe
Not applicable
Views: 641
Message 15 of 16

I finally ventured to remove the bottom case and took a look around. An M.2 cooler would definitely not fit, and there's surprisingly little air passage in that area around the heatsink, connected via a thermal pad and is kinda pathetic-looking. There is a ton more open space on the right side of the laptop, which would be great if there were an M.2 extension cable and I could mount it there. Why do they make this thing run so hot without adding cooling to such a critical component? Think they could have added a lot more ventilation to this thing, especially on the sides.

LoneWolffe
Not applicable
Views: 523
Message 16 of 16

I finally got annoyed enough to remove the M.2 and swapped in a SATAIII SSD from my other laptop, which runs at 24-28 °C. Now I need to figure out the CPU heat situation, but that's another thread.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors