Message 21 of 235

Re: Ideapad 330 Ryzen 5 2500u underperforming

by custom fans i meant , more fans and a cooling pad, not inbuilt fan speed
MINATO07
SCSI Port
Views: 3,941
Message 22 of 235

i borrowed a cheap one from my friend , but later realized it is not required at all even my normal temps on load are 54-55 C and decrease in temp is not affecting the throttle at all.

Btw someone on reddit is working on changing STAPM variable and also modding ryzen master to work with ryzen mobile, lets hope he get some good results. Lenovo support is just pathetic right now not even confirming wheather they are working on bios update or not.

Longhorn87
SCSI Port
Views: 3,937
Message 23 of 235

@Ryzen2500U wrote:
@Longhorn87

What's this tuning that you are working on? Is there some way to override the stupid (hello Lenovo engineers!!) power throttling?

This laptop definitely has potential to be way better than the i5-8250U models. But currently its performing terrible.

I might have to return it to the retailer because its not operating as advertise, the clock speed drops to below advertised clock speeds when it throttles.

Sadly, the tunings i'm testing do not have any influence on throttling, it is just a trick discovered accidentally while i was trying to have back the battery preservation mode that i lost with the last Windows and Lenovo Vantage updates. Since i installed an old version of the energy management driver and app for Windows 8, i gained about 40 points on Cinebench's multicore benchmark, but the magic doesn't last longer than 2 minutes due to throttling.

On the other part, if you want a few FPS more in gaming, you should create a new power profile in Windows with the maximum CPU state locked between 30% and 50%. Since we are basically GPU bottlenecked, we can give it more power with this setup, but it's obviously not a solution because you gain 4-5 FPS while the performance are still far away from the OEM specifications, which are on the level of misleading advertising...

Longhorn87
SCSI Port
Views: 3,878
Message 24 of 235

Here it is an in-depth look at the STAPM / T-skin issue which affect our beloved laptops: https://imgur.com/a/tPe2rzd

Ideapad 720-13ARR's owners should be pleased to have bought a 1000$ laptop with a flagship CPU that performs like a 400$ entry level... Smiley Very Happy

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-720s-13ARR-Ryzen-7-2700U-RX-Vega-10-Laptop-Review.31860...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-3-A315-41-Ryzen-3-2200U-Vega-3-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.30644...

Yes, i know that 13" chassis has less airflow than a 15", but indeed, what's the point to sell a laptop with a Ryzen 7 2700u that runs like a 2200u? They can't even have those 2 minutes of magic with a 20W STAPM limit in Boost mode... Smiley LOL

We have a serious problem here, Lenovo.

MINATO07
SCSI Port
Views: 3,866
Message 25 of 235

lenovo not even care to reply , they can increase the performance by 30% with just increasing stapm limit from 15 to 20 or 25 but i think they are busy with their fake marketing.
Longhorn87
SCSI Port
Views: 3,859
Message 26 of 235

I guess they should care. There is enough room here for a worldwide class action, since all Lenovo's Ryzen laptops could not sustain the advertised baseclock frequency for more than 2 minutes at full load without any thermal reason. They are all performing well below the manufacturer's specifications and at least here in Italy, the Consumer's Code says that the seller is obliged to deliver goods that comply with the sales contract.

For the records, this is the Ryzen's mobile throttling situation at the moment:

- Acer already increased the TDP/STAPM limit to 25 W on its entry level Ryzen mobile lineup (Aspire A315), basically solving the entire issue.

- Huawei released its Ryzen's Matebook D 14" with a default 22 W STAPM limit (and a good 2-heatpipes cooler) - no issues there.

- HP did at least some work on the power management app, which is letting its laptops to run stable on full load at 70°C with a slightly increase in performance.

And then we have Lenovo, which is still sleeping like a baby even if it has probably the higher performance loss rate on the market. Anyway, to be fair i have to report this quote from a reddit user:

Lenovo released a BIOS update for the Lenovo Flex/Yoga 530 on October 24. I ran a test using Furmark and the IGP(Vega 8) core clock maintained 900+mhz for about 10 minutes before throttling. I don't know if it is power usage or heat throttling. Temperature was hovering around 83 degree Celsius the whole time. Before the BIOS update, the processor rarely reached 70 degree Celsius, room temperature upper 60s to lower 70s degrees Fahrenheit.

At least something seems to move on the right path: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/it/it/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/YOGA-SERIES/YOGA-530-14ARR/download...

CjDragos
Paper Tape
Views: 3,753
Message 27 of 235

Hello. This is my first time posting here. I just got my IdeaPad 330, upgraded it to 8GB RAM and the latest BIOS. I am very happy with the laptop, i like the fact that it can do some light gaming. Reading this thread, i did realise that the laptop is power throttling after 2 minutes, and the GPU is dropping to around 300-400 MHz. Also, why is lenovo only supplying such an old Grafics driver? Some games give me a warning about the driver beeing outdated but i cannot seem to install anything else. Is there any workaroud? Also I think the lack of Vulkan is also quite crappy, is there any way to install it? Doom runs wuite poorly in OpenGL. 

Thank you in advance.

MINATO07
SCSI Port
Views: 3,749
Message 28 of 235

u can force install desktop drivers via device manager but it will lock your resolution to maximum and radeon setting wont work, still u can try. Lenovo is now ignoring all the issues regarding this model Smiley Sad
CjDragos
Paper Tape
Views: 3,746
Message 29 of 235

Which drivers can I force install? After I unistall the drivers, it automatically installs them back after a few seconds. I tried disabling auto downloading of the drivers in device installation settings but it still does it. 

green_dragon
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 3,723
Message 30 of 235

Hi guys! Is there any news about a solution to cpu underperforming?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors