Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Doggo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,790
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad 330 having issues with Radeon 540 GPU

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post. This is gonna be a long one as I'll be posting images along the way.

I'm using the ideapad 330 with Ryzen 5 2500U ( Vega 8 ) + AMD Radeon 540, and my issue is that the dGPU is not funtioning correctly and Radeon settings do not exist after drivers download. Everything I'm using comes from the Lenovo manufacturer drivers.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Here's what happens when my ideapad automatically switches to Radeon 540:

Normally, Substance Designer defaults to the Vega 8, but I managed to install AMD Catalyst ( Drivers from AMD do not include the R540) and force it to use the dGPU instead but it faces the same problems.

What I've tried so far :

• Uninstalled both GPUs through device manager and restarted, reinstalled via Lenovo
  • Back to original problem

• Uninstalled both GPUs and used amdcleanuputility, ran AMD self-detecting driver installer, could not install drivers ( presumably due to Radeon 540 not being officially supported? )
  • Vega 8 still works, but now Radeon 540 is gone.

• Disabling Vega 8 in the device manager, uninstalling both again, restarted and updated only the Radeon 540 while Vega 8 is not detected.
  • Radeon 540 is unable to update at all, and fails to be recognized by anything.

Edit: I've now disabled the 540 and am using the Vega 8 to do all my work, as a workaround for now Smiley Happy

Thanks again, really hope this problem can be resolved!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,779
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad 330 having issues with Radeon 540 GPU

Hi Doggo! 

Welcome to the community forums. 

We want to isolate the issue first if the hardware is having issues. You may run a hardware scan using Lenovo vantage: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/lenovo-vantage/9wzdncrfj4mv 

If there are no issues with the hardware scan. Do you remember when the issue started? Have you tried to perform factory reset? 

Regards,

Matt_lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Doggo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,754
Message 3 of 7

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

What I did next was running the diagnostics, which came back all fine. Doing a full reset seems to have fixed it, and I found the .exe for the AMD settings installer in the drivers page ( which didn't come automatically for some reason!! )

For now I don't intend to update the drivers as it is working properly, and I'll stick to what I have now Smiley Happy

Wintin0119
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,123
Message 4 of 7

Hi Doggo,

How did you fixed it actually? lol. I have this problem too but on Photoshop CC 2019. Everytime I open or create a file, the file will be distorted.

Doggo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,103
Message 5 of 7

Hey Wintin, I didn't actually manage to fix it last time and just gave up, sticking with the Vega 8 instead ( R540 drivers are pretty **bleep** )

The recent drivers from 2019 seems to have fixed this problem however, though I've been having a ton of issues with Substance Designer since Smiley Sad

Give it a try! Head to the diagnostics section on the Lenovo site and look for the drivers

Casual_gamer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,087
Message 6 of 7

I can use the Radeon 540 by setting it on specific apps/games by using "AMD Catalyst Software". https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-15-7-1 I hope it somehow helped you
Wintin0119
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,083
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Doggo! I somehow manage to do something about it by disbaling Vega 8 so that Photoshop will use Radeon 540 only.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors