Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill115
802.11n
Views: 1,374
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad 330s-15ARR - sleep problem

We have a 2 week old 330s-15ARR with Windows 10 v1803 (bios is older '30WW', not latest '38WW').

When it tries to go to sleep, the screen goes blank but we discovered power actually stays on. After 3 minutes, the laptop seems to totally power down. On pressing the power button, we see the Lenovo startup image appear before Windows logon, all previous open tasks are lost. Chrome asks if I wish to recover previous session etc.

We first encountered this issue after installing driver for HP m102w laser printer. Removing the HP software seemed to cure the sleep issue.  We thought we fixed the sleep issue by reinstalling it as a tcpip printer.  Sure, it is easy to blame HP, but same software worked fine on another Intel laptop.

After searching the forum, I found a number of posts on the forum with AMD  (ARR variant) powered Lenovos with long shutdown and/or sleep issues.  There may be a problem with the Realtek driver version 6.0.1.8538.  

To our surprise, disabling the Realtek audio driver seems to have fixed the sleep issue for the moment !

At the moment, I'm trying to find an older or newer Realtek driver as suggested by other owners to see if it will resolve our issue.   Updating to Win 10 v1903 is another option, but I note this new post where owner reports sleep problem too following a clean install of Windows (presumably v1903)

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/Lenovo-330S-15ARR-AMD-Windows-10-WiFi-Pr...

I don't know why Lenovo refuse to list older drivers on their website for their laptops.

More later.

Highlighted
Bill115
802.11n
Views: 1,350
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad 330s-15ARR - sleep problem

I took a closer look at the 330s.

I had previously manually set up a tcpip printer device for the HP m102w laser printer (using static IP) which appeared to fix the sleep problem.  But had not realised automatic Network Discovery in Windows had subsequently'found' and added another printer device for the same HP laser printer - the port is defined as WSD port.   This may explain why the the sleep function started failing again on the 330s.

In any case, disabling the Realtek audio (v6.0.1.8538) in Device Manager definitely cured the failing sleep problem.

Lenovo Vantage had previously reported the drivers were up to date, except for the firmware.  I tried using 'Update driver' in Device Manager to autodetect a newer version, but none was found. 

I couldn't find a later Realtek v6.0.1.8652  driver from a trusted source that is known to fix shut down problems on the 330s according to another post on this forum.  The one on Lenovo site for the Lenovo 330-15ARR didn't work on the 330s.  ie. the setup runs but nothing is changed in Device Manager.

I then looked in Microsoft catalog

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=realtek%206.0.1.8652%20

I downloaded 142.3MB   "Windows 10 Creators Update and Later Servicing Drivers", 

3/12/2019, v6.0.1.8652

I'm no expert, but I have a hunch, the only Realtek drivers which will work must contain the setup "HDXLVE.inf" file which I think is for Lenovo?

Used WinRAR to extract its contents (File explorer can't extract CAB files correctly).

Then through Device Manager pointed it to the extracted files.

It took what seemed like 5 minutes to install the drivers.

Finally Device Manager showed a new version number of the Realtek audio driver.  

Sleep and Hibernate now work and very quickly (Shutdown and Restart was never a problem).

Sleep problem solved on laptop still running factory shipped Win 10 v1803.  I've held back updating to v1903 for the moment.

philrandal
What's DOS?
Views: 704
Message 3 of 6

This solved the sleep problem on my Ideapad S340-15API. I'd previously resorted to using hybrid sleep. Even updating to Windows 10 1903 and then to 1909 didn't update the Realtek driver but your instructions worked perfectly.

Phil

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 663
Message 4 of 6

I see the current available Realtek driver for the s340-15api is v6.0.1.8607 (Aug 2019) on Lenovo website.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally took the plunge and upgraded the s330-15arr from v1803 to v1903. It reinstated the defective older Realtek driver. 

I reinstalled the previously downloaded/extracted v6.0.1.8652 driver.  The setup process did seem to crash out with an error message right towards the end of the 5 minute wait, but upon checking Device Manager, the new driver was successfully installed - I could only speculate the driver installer was perhaps for v1803 and didn't work too well with v1903.

philrandal
What's DOS?
Views: 645
Message 5 of 6

I had installed all the updated drivers from Lenovo's support site after updating to 1903. I didn't note the exact driver version I'd ended up with after updating from 1809 to 1903 then 1909, but it was less than the v6.0.1.8652 driver I installed following your instructions. The setup process on 1909 was painfully slow, but I got no error messages. It's all sorted now with the 8652 driver, so that's all that matters.

As an aside, why didn't Lenovo Vantage detect all the updates on the downloads page? It never offered me a BIOS update, even though one was available. I installed everything.from the downloads page regardless.
Bill115
802.11n
Views: 637
Message 6 of 6

My guess is version control on Vantage and their support website are separate.  Makes sense to release 'new' files on their website first, to avoid bricking 1,000s of laptops if it was delivered via Vantage !

BIOS updates carry small risk of bricking motherboards. If computer is out of warranty, it could prove very expensive to replace the motherboard.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors