Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djohns18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 622
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad 330s-15ikb Migrate OS to NVMe PCIe SSD

About to take delivery of an Ideapad 330s-15ikb. I have ordered a Samsung MZVLW256HEHP PM961 256GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD – OEM to replace the Optane.

My question is how best to migrate the OS, after I disable and remove the Optane.

I’ve read that the SSD is not supported by Samsung Magician migration tool as it is an OEM SSD.

Should I:

1. Use Mini-tools Partition Manager (or similar) to Clone the HDD over to the SSD. If yes do I then need to change boot order in BIOS, or does the cloning operation make that change.

2. Create a Recovery USB, either by downloading from Lenovo or creating locally. Then use this to install fresh copy of factory OS on the SSD. Will the recovery USB allow me to do this? Will the fact that the factory OS expects to see Optane cause an issue?

3. Create a Windows 10 Install USB, use that for a fresh install on the SSD, then download drivers and utilities from Lenovo. If yes should I remove the HDD, or with the install ask which drive the OS should be installed on?

Highlighted
djohns18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 584
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad 330s-15ikb Migrate OS to NVMe PCIe SSD

Managed to get everything set up.

As I had read - Samsung Magician does not support this Samsung OEM SSD. It identified it as a Samsung drive and stated it was not supported.

Mini-tools Partition Manager cloned the drive with no problems at all. Once cloned a quick BIOS change to boot from the SSD and everything was set up.

Now boots and runs super fast, probably gets to the W10 login screen in half the time of the out of the box Optane set up.
JGomez92
Fanfold Paper
Views: 500
Message 3 of 4

Hello, how has been working until now? I´m tempted on buying that SSD but i have read mixed reviews on Amazon.

Thanks.

djohns18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 496
Message 4 of 4

It's been a week now and all is working perfectly. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors