Did you mean: 
Nethan
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad 330s LKB - Windows 7

Hi all,

yesterday got my new ideapad 330s.

I want to install W7 on it, and managed to make a usb bootable, with the USB 3.0 driver inside it.

W7 installation software start perfectly, then i manually install the USB 3.0 driver, it says is ok, and here the surprise:

I see no partitions, no drivers, and that is because he cannot find the storage driver (SSD).

He's asking me the driver, but i don't know where to find a W7 driver for the original SSD on my new laptop.

If someone could help and provide a link for a storage driver possibly working, i would apreciate a lot.

Also, maybe some BIOS setting could help W7 to find the SSD and its partitions.

Thanks in advance

[Please don't tell me to install W10 or that this laptop is not built for W7. I don't need that, neither i need to know the advantages og W10 compared to W7, or someone telling me that W7 is dead. W7 is and will always be my choice, not here to discuss about this.]

Nethan
Paper Tape
Views: 89
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad 330s LKB - Windows 7

Well, i see noone can help and i'm still stuck on W7 installation software.

Guess W10 N LTSC will be the only way to go, at least i hope i can install that without issues.

**bleep** W10. This is so bad Lenovo.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 84
Message 3 of 6

@Nethan wrote:

W7 installation software start perfectly, then i manually install the USB 3.0 driver, it says is ok, and here the surprise:  I see no partitions, no drivers, and that is because he cannot find the storage driver (SSD).

The Windows 7 installer does not contain the driver that is needed to operate an NVMe M.2 SSD.  So you need to obtain that driver and incorporate it into the install image in the same way that you did for the USB3 driver.

My Lenovo had a Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD, so I went to the Samsung web site and downloaded the Samsung driver; it works for Windows 7 and Windows 10. So determine the manufacturer of your SSD, then go to their web site and download the driver. If you don't know who made your SSD, try the Samsung one. If that does not work, you will need to open the casing of your laptop to determine the manufacturer of the SSD.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Nethan
Paper Tape
Views: 76
Message 4 of 6

Thanks a lot for the answer CyberSimian,

not sure if i have a M2 or normal, but what i'm sure about is that lenovo doesn't provide a single driver for W7 for this laptop, all of them are for W10.

I've installed N LTSC 2019 some hour ago, and was optimizing it, but my dream is still to have W7.

I have no prob on opening case and check SSD brand, will try this after making a big partition backup just to not waste today's work.

U lucky to have a samsung M2 there!

Will try your solution for sure and let you know, also for other peeps that wanna go back to W7, since this 330 is selling a lot of units.

Thanks again, have a nice day.

Nethan
Paper Tape
Views: 52
Message 5 of 6

Hi, i did open the laptop and found this M.2 SSD on it:

Western Digital PC SN520 NVMe 256GB SSD, of january 2019.

Unfortunately i can't find any driver for it on the web, so i'm still stuck.

Thanks in advance to those who can help.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 41
Message 6 of 6

@Nethan wrote:

i did open the laptop and found this M.2 SSD on it:

Western Digital PC SN520 NVMe 256GB SSD, of january 2019.

Unfortunately i can't find any driver for it on the web, so i'm still stuck.

Windows 10 includes a driver for an NVMe M.2 SSD. I suspect that this is a generic driver that works for all brands of NVMe SSD (just like the standard SATA driver works for all brands of HDD).  So I think that it might be worth trying the Samsung NVMe driver. It might  work (it depends whether it checks for a specific manufacturer id).

If the Samsung driver does not work with the Western Digital NVMe SSD, and you are determined to install Windows 7 on your laptop, I think that you will need to sell your Western Digital NVMe SSD and purchase a Samsung one.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors