cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MisterFlibble
Punch Card
Views: 2,228
Message 11 of 40

Re: Ideapad 330s Ryzen 2500u MAJOR performance problems - CPU and GPU over throttling

Okay, have tried installing the above graphics driver from the Microsoft Update Calatogue, but encounter an error in device manager when installing with Have Disk;  "Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - The system cannot find the file specified"

So, I tried downloading the latest adrenaline drivers from the AMD site and force installing the Vega driver from them.  This installed okay, seemed to fix the grey static, and video playback problems, but unfortunately breaks the display brightness control.  So at the moment it seems a choice between a broken brightness control or unstable resume from sleep and video playback.

Longhorn87
SCSI Port
Views: 2,223
Message 12 of 40

Re: Ideapad 330s Ryzen 2500u MAJOR performance problems - CPU and GPU over throttling

wrote:

Okay, have tried installing the above graphics driver from the Microsoft Update Calatogue, but encounter an error in device manager when installing with Have Disk;  "Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics - The system cannot find the file specified"

So, I tried downloading the latest adrenaline drivers from the AMD site and force installing the Vega driver from them.  This installed okay, seemed to fix the grey static, and video playback problems, but unfortunately breaks the display brightness control.  So at the moment it seems a choice between a broken brightness control or unstable resume from sleep and video playback.

Try to disable and re-enable the graphics card from Device Manager. This should give you back brightness control. 

Which drivers did you download?  The latest for Ryzen 2200G?

SolarisSDK
Punch Card
Views: 2,199
Message 13 of 40

@JustSkillAnyway there is positive news. Some guy on reddit trying to mod bios on his laptop and fix this, and i can say that he close enough.

Can you please provide link to this reddit thread?

MINATO07
SCSI Port
Views: 2,193
Message 14 of 40

Longhorn87
SCSI Port
Views: 2,180
Message 15 of 40

MisterFlibble
Punch Card
Views: 2,153
Message 16 of 40

@Longhorn87 I downloaded the Radeon Software Adrenaline Edition 18.11.2 from AMD and after installation, found the driver location C:/AMD/...., and manually installed it through device manager. Also had to update the AMD Radeon settings app as the old one is not compatible with the new drivers.

The new drivers certainly seem better.  The GPU gets a nice performance boost. The Cinebench GPU benchmark goes from around 34fps with the old drivers to around 42fps with these new ones.  

Unfortunately, while disabling and renabling the graphics card in device manager restores the brightness control, the next time the machine goes to sleep the brightness control breaks again.  

Longhorn87
SCSI Port
Views: 2,134
Message 17 of 40

@MisterFlibble wrote:

@Longhorn87 I downloaded the Radeon Software Adrenaline Edition 18.11.2 from AMD and after installation, found the driver location C:/AMD/...., and manually installed it through device manager. Also had to update the AMD Radeon settings app as the old one is not compatible with the new drivers.

The new drivers certainly seem better.  The GPU gets a nice performance boost. The Cinebench GPU benchmark goes from around 34fps with the old drivers to around 42fps with these new ones.  

Unfortunately, while disabling and renabling the graphics card in device manager restores the brightness control, the next time the machine goes to sleep the brightness control breaks again.  

Try to update the screen driver, then make the same disable/enable trick with it. 

MisterFlibble
Punch Card
Views: 2,117
Message 18 of 40

Same problem when disabling/enabling the screen driver.  

Might just have to switch back to the Lenovo drivers and hope they provide some sort of support soon in terms of Video drivers and STAPM setting in the BIOS.

nmsrmc
Paper Tape
Views: 1,860
Message 19 of 40

Good day,

I also bought a 330s and noticed the throttling of the CPU. I ran prime95 after the startup and for the first minute everything was fine getting almost 3.0ghz, but after that minute everything went down to the point that all cores were at just a mere 1.6ghz, if it stayed at 2.0ghz i would understand, but ONLY 1.6ghz. And to make things worse the temperatures were near 60ºC and the fan was at low speed so there was room for better performance.

If i knew that this would happen i would go to other brands like acer or hp with the same CPU. My previous laptop was a HP G62 with intel core i5 460m and it never throttled...

MisterFlibble
Punch Card
Views: 1,756
Message 20 of 40

So no response from Lenovo about this dire situation then?

Seriously, because of these problems which could easily be rectified if Lenovo cared about their customers, I'm going to have to return this laptop as it is certainly not fit for purpose buy and HP or Acer instead.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors