cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nmsrmc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,530
Message 31 of 44

Re: Ideapad 330s Ryzen 2500u MAJOR performance problems - CPU and GPU over throttling

I'm not sure how this update came to my laptop. I had just finished login in and appeared a notification on the windows action center telling that i had to restart my laptop to install that update.
The first time i restarted it was unplug from the wall and it wouldn't install. When i plugged it to the wall and restarted again it showed the lenovo logo and something about installing and froze the pc. At this time i was worried it was bricked. After a couple of minutes it restarted like it was restoring the bios and it started normally.
The bios code i think is still the same.
MisterFlibble
Punch Card
Views: 2,500
Message 32 of 44

Re: Ideapad 330s Ryzen 2500u MAJOR performance problems - CPU and GPU over throttling

Okay.  Just got the firmware update.  Interestingly it came through Windows Update, not Lenovo Vantage.

So... It's a small step in the right direction.  According to AMDuProf it looks like this update raises the STAPM level from 15W to 20W (or 17W on battery).  BUT... unfortunately it's not all good news.  The new firmware appears to dynamically adjust the limit (based on temperature perhaps?).  After a while of heavy load it drops back down to 15W, which is the same performance before the update.

So this increase means a slight improvement for a short time before throttling kicks in.  I can now run Cinebench around 6 or 7 times before performance drops off, which is an improvement, but for gaming, after about 10 mins, the same old throttling problems exist. 

Unfortunately for the time being, seems that for best performance, the hacks listed in the thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/Ideapad-330-Ryzen-5-2500u-underperformin... unleash the full potential of the machine.

nmsrmc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,313
Message 33 of 44

So i just was testing my laptop and finally installed de amd uprof, even though it states the STAPM at 20 watt, i can see the chip pulling 25 watt of power for a while, after the STAPM reaches 20 watt, the chip power consumption starts dropping and after a while the STAPM reaches as low as 15 watt with the processor frequency at 1600mhz. The minimun CPU frequency i would accept with a lot of stress would be the rated 2000 mhz for the ryzen 5 2500u.

I read on other forums about changing the STAPM limit, and noticed that there are 3 levels of STAPM. the first one is the STAPM limit (the person in question changed it to 22watt), the second one was STAPM short term power limit (changed to 30watt), and the third one was the STAPM long term power limit (changed to 25watt).

If our laptop would at least have all the values to 22 watt or 20 watt we wouldn't have any heating trouble as with the stress testing with prime95 i got a steady 65ºC. I had a maximum of 80ºC but i was pushing for everything, had the prime95 running and ran the gpu test of cinebench.

Emrys86
What's DOS?
Views: 2,233
Message 34 of 44

Hello, 

I Just bought the Lenovo 330-15Arr ( 120gb SSD / 1To HDD / 6Go RAM / Ryzen 5 2500u version ), and updated the Bios to the last available on the Lenovo Support Website, also I Downloaded AMD µProof and Installed the lastest version AMD Ryzen 5 Desktop Driver, in order to have to have the lastest AMD Radeon Vega 8 Driver ( unofficially , but just work great Smiley Happy  ).
After rebooting, I Installed GPU-Z and CPU-Z, and lunched a Stress Test on CPU-Z, and starting µProof consumption / max TDP test. AND surprise, the limit seems to be 25W, and during the test / after 8-10 minutes, the analyse showed that it was clearly more stable than the other analyses of Lenovo 330-15Arr buyers before this Bios update.

Cordially

nmsrmc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,227
Message 35 of 44

I also installed the latest and graphics card driver from and, but (might be a coincidence) the Miracast stopped working properly, wouldn't connect to the TV. Only after installing the original drivers it started working again.

Tricku
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,055
Message 36 of 44

Hello, I'm having a big problem after updating the BIOS(the 23.01.2019 update) on my 530s 14-ARR with AMD Ryzen 2500u.

After updating the BIOS everything was ok, no more green bars while watching youtube videos etc. BUT after unplugging the laptop, it keeps BSOD-ing after every restart(after every 1 min, no matter if I login to windows or I stay on the logon screen - if I'm fast enough to login and access a yt video, it crashes immediately and then BSOD).

If it stays plugged-in I have 0 problems and it performs fine.

I reinstalled the drivers, same issue.

I updated windows to version 1809(as it wasn't up to date when I performed the BIOS update), same issue.

What should I do? Please help!

Thank you!

EDIT: I also tried the graphics driver on the first page of this thread - same issue.

EDIT 2: Driver Adrenalin 18.10.1 + setting AMD Graphics power setting to "optimize battery" made the laptop usable again. The new BIOS update is still questionable.

Tricku
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,413
Message 37 of 44

It seems that Lenovo is aware of the problem issued above, as the BIOS driver updated on 15 Feb for the 530s-14ARR model is the older version!!! (8PCN45WW now online recommended for download vs 8PCN50WW the one with the issues which is installed on my machine)
If anybody has o solution for how to downgrade to the earlier version which is now recommended by them, please reply.

Thank you!
Emrys86
What's DOS?
Views: 1,407
Message 38 of 44

Hello, yes normally, you Can Do that with the Lenovo Bios upgrade TOOL, BUT you have to go in the BIOS and allow Downgrade.

Tricku
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,401
Message 39 of 44

Wanted to edit my initial post. Just read about enabling the downgrade feature in BIOS, thanks.

Downgraded, everything works fine. Hopefully it stays like this and the next BIOS update will solve the BSOD issues everyone's having on the 2500u platform.

Casual_gamer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,348
Message 40 of 44

Have you used the "Radeon™ 540" GPU? Mine is using the "Vega 8" Discrete Graphics card as "default" you can change it by using "AMD Catalyst Software" https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-15-7-1

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors