Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abhijeet_1
Paper Tape
Views: 183
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad 500-15ISK GPU shorted- help!

Hi,

I left my laptop (80NT type) on charging at night, I tried turnring it on in the morning, it tried to turn on but only the charging and HDD led turned on, then after 10 seconds it turned off.

So, I got it checked out at a locally, they said the GPU shorted.

I asked them what would be the solution, to which they said that the motherboard would be replaced but it woukd cost 13000 rupees as the laptop was out of warranty.

I wanted to ask if their is a better solution available?

Please help, as I really don't want to spend that much on this laptop.

Thanks in advanced. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 178
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad 500-15ISK GPU shorted- help!

Hi Abhijeet_1!

Welcome to the community.

We're sorry to hear about what happened. You have the option to purchase the motherboard from a third-party re-seller. However, we cannot guarantee that you will be getting a genuine Lenovo part. Regarding the cost of the replacement part. When you buy parts from Lenovo, you’re buying an original, genuine part that has been regression tested with your particular model of machine. Lenovo parts aren’t the least expensive parts out there, but they are the best choice if you need your system up and running again the first time. You can take a risk on third-party parts, but at least half of the time, we’ve found that incompatibilities force people to pay twice to fix their original problem. If you'd like to consider buying from a third-party re-seller, you may check the part number of the motherboard using the Hardware Maintenance Manual page 86-88. Let us know if you need anything else. 

Have a nice day!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

abhijeet_1
Paper Tape
Views: 175
Message 3 of 5

I understand that fact but I really can't spend that much on my laptop for repair, I am willing to take the risk but I need a cheaper solution.

Also, I have consulted a local repair shop they told me that, since my laptop had switchable graphics, it can run in UMA mode, so if I could get help in that regard that would be greatful, as the local shops denied me this type of repair since they don't have the board view or the schematics for my laptop's motherboard.

So, I thought maybe the forums could help me.

Please inform if you could.

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 159
Message 4 of 5

We understand, where you're coming from and we further checked. You may follow the steps from this article to enable switchable graphics from BIOS. You may also check the picture attached for reference. You may keep us posted on how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

abhijeet_1
Paper Tape
Views: 148
Message 5 of 5

I tried doing the same but the laptop won't boot into BIOS, probably because of the short or something else.

Is there any other way to do the same?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors