cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo-User-458
What's DOS?
Views: 2,048
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad 500S 14ISK - BIOS corruption, how to reset?

Hi,

I tried to update my BIOS by downloading the according file from the Lenovo website. Unfortunately something went wrong and my laptop didn't reboot as stated in the Readme file. After 12 hours waiting,  I switched it off by pressing the Power button 5 sec.

Now my Ideapad Power Button is on if I try to start it, but the BIOS won't start (Black Screen even after 30min waiting, Pressing Novo Button has the same effect). Now my question is how do I reset my BIOS or how do I flash it via an USB-Stick (I have no idea what BIOS version was on this Ideapad)

I´m really desperate, I need to use my laptop as soon as possible for work.

Thanks for helping and if you have any further questions feel free to ask. Smiley Wink

tjb1959
What's DOS?
Views: 1,724
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad 500S 14ISK - BIOS corruption, how to reset?

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? I just updated the BIOS on my 500S 14ISK and it won't get past "Boot Menu"

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,715
Message 3 of 6

@tjb1959 wrote:

I just updated the BIOS on my 500S 14ISK and it won't get past "Boot Menu".

When you update the BIOS, the existing settings are not preserved.  If you had previously changed any of the BIOS settings, you must re-enter the BIOS and make those changes again.

Settings to check (if wrong, these can stop the system booting):

(1) Boot mode -- UEFI or legacy?

(2) Secure boot -- enabled or disabled?

(3) Boot device order -- SSD or HDD first?

(4) SATA mode -- Intel RST or AHCI?

Obviously I cannot tell you which settings you should be using in order to boot.  If you cannot remember, you will need to re-install Windows (after copying your personal files to an external USB disk).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

tjb1959
What's DOS?
Views: 1,705
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for that quick response. I actually had already resolved the issue and you were right on the mark! It's one of those things where I stepped away from the problem, went to the park for my regular Saturday morning workout and while taking a break I googled very speicifically what had happened and I found something referencing the UEFI settings, which hit me like a botl from the blue because,while troubleshooting a Windows 10 Pro installation problem I had switched from UEFI to Legacy in the BIOS (which didn't help the Windows problem), but when I DID resolve that install problem I did the install with the BIOS set to Legacy. The BIOS upgrade set the BIOS back to UEFI. So, using the NOVA button and went into the BIOS and set it back to the Legacy settings and voilà! Problem resolved. 

Thanks again.

Tdsai
What's DOS?
Views: 679
Message 5 of 6

I have the same problem with my laptop. You said you cannot enter bios, but how were you able to change the setting in the bios from uefi to legacy?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 658
Message 6 of 6

@Tdsai wrote:

You said you cannot enter bios, but how were you able to change the setting in the bios from uefi to legacy?

(1) Start with the laptop powered off.

(2) Press the "Novo" button. The laptop powers on and displays the "Novo Button Menu".

(3) On the "Novo Button Menu", use the UP or DOWN key on the keyboard to move the item with the focus to "BIOS Setup" and press the ENTER key. The BIOS panels are displayed.

(4) Make changes to the BIOS as necessary, and then exit saving changes. The system reboots.

The "Novo" button is located beneath the casing, and you press it by inserting a straightened paper clip (or similar) through the correct hole in the casing. Consult the "User Guide" or "Hardware Maintenance Manual" for your laptop to find out where the "Novo" button is located. Those manuals can be downloaded from the Support page for your laptop on this web site.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors