Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mitochondria
Paper Tape
Views: 90
Message 1 of 1

Ideapad 510-15IKB Keyboard Shutting off Once Every Couple Months

Hi guys.

I use an Ideapad 510-15IKB on Windows 10, and it has this weird issue of keyboard losing function out of the blue once every few months. I would just be using the laptop and suddenly the built-in keyboard stops responding. I would usually then try to reboot it to fix it, and the system will sometimes bluescreen after I click the restart/shut down option with error message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. When I tried to boot the thing up after, it would be permanently stuck on the logo screen (I waited for up to 8 hours the first time it happened to me before contacting Customer Support.) Customer Support eventually helped me get out of the permanent logo screen by telling me to "hard reset" the device by turning it off, unplugging it from power, and pressing the power button for 30 seconds. This method worked and I've been using it every time the same issue occurs again ever since. Except this is only a temporary fix, the shutoff issue still happens every couple months, alongside its permanent logo screen afterward until hard reset. It started out with once every 3 months, then I started noticing a gradual decrease in the gap between the relapses. The last 3 occurrences were only about 1 month apart from each other. The telephone Customer Service doesn't seem to know how to further fix it either.

The machine works normally aside from the random shutoffs and I noticed no other abnormalities from the keyboard. I have since reinstalled the keyboard driver, to no avail. I do not own an external keyboard so I have no clue whether the issue comes from the hardware side of the built-in keyboard or the software side of the system, nor do I know whether plugging in an external keyboard when the built-in one shuts off will let me resume keyboard control. I was able to live with this issue for the whole past year because it only required performing the hard reset once every few months. But yesterday the shutoff hit me when I was in the middle of working on an important task with my group, and it ended up delaying the whole group by almost half an hour (booting and starting application takes really long after the hard reset). It was a fraustrating experience for everyone in the group, so I finally decided to seriously crack down on this issue.

I apologize for the long description. I just wanted to provide as much details surrounding this bizarre issue as possible and offer my own experience in handling it until now. Has anyone else experienced the same thing and/or have an insight to a potential solution?

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors