cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike160304
Fanfold Paper
Views: 631
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 510S-14ISK - can SSD be upgraded from 256 to 512 GB?

If so, how would I get it done, and how much would it cost?

And while I am here, one reviewer said that this 256 GB SSD is a "slow" one. Is that true?

Mike

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 582
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad 510S-14ISK - can SSD be upgraded from 256 to 512 GB?

@mike160304 wrote:

You should look in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" (HMM) for your model.  Scroll to the botton of this page and click "Manuals" in the "Support" column.  Enter your model number and then you should be able to access the HMM.

The HMM will document which other SSDs have been tested for your model.  These are guaranteed to work.  Other SSDs (both other makes, and other sizes) may or may not  work.  All you can do is look for reports of success from other people who have tried the model that you are thinking of buying.  Or buy the SSD, and then sell it on Ebay if it turns out that it does not work in your laptop.

@mike160304 wrote:

If so, how would I get it done, and how much would it cost?

You could ask the retailer to fit a larger SSD.  A retailer such as Currys or Novatech would probably do this, but I doubt that Lenovo Mail Order would (unless it is a configuration option on their web site).  You would have to pay the cost of the new SSD, plus the cost of installation.  The install can certainly be done within one hour, so estimate a labour charge between £50 to £100.

@mike160304 wrote:

And while I am here, one reviewer said that this 256 GB SSD is a "slow" one. Is that true?

Some are faster than others, but the largest effects are a result of the SSD slowing down due to overheating (the SSD does this to protect itself).  Laptops are notorious for poor cooling.  There is nothing that you can do about this.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mike160304
Fanfold Paper
Views: 548
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad 510S-14ISK - can SSD be upgraded from 256 to 512 GB?

CyberSimian - Many thanks, very helpful, I understand this area a lot better now..

Mike

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors