Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joyce17
Paper Tape
Views: 6,266
Message 1 of 8

Ideapad 510s battery draining fast

Hi,

I have had my ideapad 510s for about 6 months. I recently moved from Malaysia to Auckland and have noticed that the battery drains fast. It lasts only 1 1/2 hours instead of the usual 5 hours or so on normal work with Microsoft Office files. I usually shut down my laptop, not sleep. All updates are, well, up to date.

Anyone with the same problem? Can anyone shed some light, please? Thanks.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,200
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ideapad 510s battery draining fast

@joyce17 wrote:

I have noticed that the battery drains fast. It lasts only 1 1/2 hours instead of the usual 5 hours or so on normal work with Microsoft Office files. I usually shut down my laptop, not sleep. All updates are, well, up to date.

This may  be a result of "Fast Start" being enabled on your system.  When Fast Start is enabled, the system actually hibernates when you select Shutdown, and hibernation allows the system to wake up in the middle of the night to attempt to download updates, or install updates, or defragment the drive, or perform indexing, or... All of these activities will discharge your battery when you are not using your system. So... disable Fast Start!

Also, be aware that when Windows updates are installed, "Fast Start" is sometimes re-enabled automatically, so you need to check periodically that "Fast Start" is still disabled.  Google to find the instructions for disabling "Fast Start".

Finally, there may be a bug in Windows that is consuming your battery with unnecessary work.  Right click "Start" and then click "Task Manager" and select the "Performance" tab.  It displays charts that show what is happening on your system.  Look at how much CPU is being used, how much the disk is being accessed.  Do these values look unexpectedly high when your system ought to be idle?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Highlighted
joyce17
Paper Tape
Views: 6,196
Message 3 of 8

Thanks, CyberSimian!

Yes, my fast startup was on, have disabled it now.

Looking at the performance tab, the CPU is running at 30% when I am just on this browser. Is this acceptable? Sounds a bit high to me. Sorry, not very tech savvy...

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,188
Message 4 of 8

@joyce17 wrote:

Looking at the performance tab, the CPU is running at 30% when I am just on this browser. Is this acceptable? Sounds a bit high to me.

Yes, it sounds a bit high to me, too. Smiley Sad

One thing that you could do: on the "Task Manager" panel there should be a button to open "Resource Manager".  So open "Resource Manager" and open the section detailing CPU usage.  Then click on the column heading for CPU usage -- it will sort the column by % usage, so the application or system service using the most CPU should be at the top of the list.  This might give a clue as to why the CPU usage is at 30%.

I have a 700-15ISK with two partitions, each containing Windows 10 (version 1607).  Neither partition has the "Creators Update" installed (version 1703), but one partition has had some Windows updates applied, and the other has not.  The partition with  the updates behaves normally -- when the system is idle, CPU usage is near 0%.  The partition without  the updates consumes 25% of the CPU resource all of the time.  Since the 700-15ISK is a 4-core machine, it means that one of the cores is running at 100% usage all of the time. Smiley Surprised  "Resource Manager" indicates that it is related in some way to Windows Network Services.  However, since the partition with the updates does not suffer from this problem, it is clearly a bug in Windows.

Your problem may be different from mine, but it does indicate that bugs in Windows will appear from time to time, and will (probably) be fixed by later updates.  I note that you have updated your system with all available updates, so it may mean waiting for a future update to cure this problem (if no one can suggest an immediate solution).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joyce17
Paper Tape
Views: 6,168
Message 5 of 8

Thanks so much, CyberSimian!

Have looked at all you have advised. I guess I will just have to wait for updates :-(

Thanks again! At least I know I am not alone in this problem.

ShrawanG
What's DOS?
Views: 4,613
Message 6 of 8

I have bought Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 4  3 months earlier. In the beginning, it used to show 5 hours of battery life in the display bar and it was right. But now it only shows 2 and half hours and that is true. It only lasts about 2 hours. Why my battery is draining fast. I have adapted all the method. I have stopped all the background apps but also it is draining fast. I have also stopped the fast charge.Is this because of graphics?I have Intel 520 HD graphics. I have another problem with the graphics. When I resume my laptops from sleep vertical multicolor lines come across the screen and I have to force shutdown the laptop.I have the latest update. It does not use to happens before. It happened when updating the latest version of Intel HD graphics 520.

Please help me to sort out these problems.

sgizmo
Punch Card
Views: 4,596
Message 7 of 8

I think the biggest problem with battery is because you recently moved from Malaysia to Auckland .. 

sgizmo
Punch Card
Views: 4,574
Message 8 of 8

I have update. I was talk with support and they say "if you have problem in Auckland you must go back to Malaysia and try your bettery again" its maybe Auckland problem with fast battery draining.. keep us updated..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors