cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yessspt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,591
Message 1 of 13

Ideapad 520s - Why i can't change the "boot mode" to CMS or Legacy ? Bios is not recognizing my usb

Hi!

I want to do a fresh Windows 10 install. I perfectly know how do it and i think im not forgetting anything. It never hapenned before but the "Boot Mode" option is grey, i can't select it. I need to change it to CMS or Legacy so the bios can detect my usb. Both usb ports and the pen drive is working fine, there's nothing wrong. Bios is just not detecting my usb.... I disabled the fast and secure boot, doesn't work. In fact, everytime i reboot my computer, the secure boot aut. changes from disabled to enabled...

Some people say to change the OS Optimazed Defaults option but it doesn't work either. 

My bios is uptaded. I tried to download an older bios version but lenovo only has this updated version in their website.

Any help please ?

Thanks in advance

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,574
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ideapad 520s - Why i can't change the "boot mode" to CMS or Legacy ? Bios is not recog

Try using the "Reset to setup mode" option under the Security Tab which will reset the PK (Platform Key), disable Secure Boot and enter Setup Mode.

Cheers,

yessspt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,564
Message 3 of 13

Re: Ideapad 520s - Why i can't change the "boot mode" to CMS or Legacy ? Bios is not recog

Hello, thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, nothing happened... Also (I don't know if it is normal or not) but my bios is missing some features, like Power Management or something like that.

I'm asking because some users said I could edit the fan speed by going to the "Power Management" tab but I don't have such tab... I also don't have the Boot Priority.

https://prnt.sc/k3grqr

Thanks

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,529
Message 4 of 13

@yessspt wrote:

the "Boot Mode" option is grey, i can't select it.

Have you ever had Ubuntu installed on your laptop?  A recent version of Ubuntu corrupted the laptop BIOS or UEFI partition (I am not sure which), resulting in the inability to make changes to the BIOS.  

If this applies to you, there are several threads on this web site concerning this issue, so I would suggest reading those.  However, my understanding is that the fix is tricky, so you may get better advice on a Ubuntu forum.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

yessspt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,512
Message 5 of 13

Hi!

Actually, yes! I used to run Kali Linux (live boot) with a pen drive. I never actually had Ubuntu or Linux installed in my PC, but I used to run the OS with a USB pen drive. Yeah, maybe that was the problem. That's weird, that would never come to my mind. 

I remember perfectly. I remember changing the boot settings in bios and it everything worked just fine.

Something just came to mind, what if I remove the battery from the motherboard ? Maybe that resets the bios ?

Thanks for you help!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,490
Message 6 of 13

@yessspt wrote:

I used to run Kali Linux (live boot) with a pen drive. I never actually had Ubuntu or Linux installed in my PC, but I used to run the OS with a USB pen drive ... what if I remove the battery from the motherboard ? Maybe that resets the bios ?

I suspect that the Ubuntu problem occurs only when Ubuntu is installed on the hard disk.  I think that running a live Linux system booted from a USB memory stick should be safe (although I don't know for sure as I have never experienced this problem).

Removing the batteries may work, but I honestly don't know. You would probably need to remove both the main (large) battery and the tiny coin-sized battery fixed somewhere on the motherboard.  You probably also need to wait a good period of time to allow the capacitors to discharge.  How long is a good period of time?  I don't know -- an hour or two?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,484
Message 7 of 13

You can still download earlier versions of the BIOS if desired, but you will have to first enable "BIOS Back Flash " under the Configuration settings in the BIOS.

Note:   The Flash BIOS update linked below are applicable to 320S-15IKB (Type 80X5), 520S-14IKB (Type 80X2), Flex 5-1470 (Type 80XA), Flex 5-1570 (Type 80XB), Yoga 520-14IKB (Type 80X8), 320S-14IKB (Type 80X4), 320S-15ISK, ideapad 2in1-14 Flex 5-1470 (Type 81C9), Flex 5-1570 (Type 81CA), Yoga 520-14IKB (Type 81C8), 320S-14IKB (Type 81BN), 320S-15IKB (Type 81BQ), 520S-14IKB (Type 81BL)

Readme.txt for Version 4QCN41WW(V2.05) Applicable OS Win10 Installation (last version prior to the Spectre/Meltdown Updates)

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/4qcn41ww.txt

Flash from Operating System BIOS Update Version 4QCN41WW(V2.05)

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/4qcn41ww.exe

Good Luck,

yessspt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,479
Message 8 of 13

Hello.
Thanks for your help. I managed to install an older version but nothing happened... The Boot Mode option still is grey and i can't select it... :/
https://prnt.sc/k3m4jj
https://prnt.sc/k3m56g

Thanks for your help
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,469
Message 9 of 13

So just to be clear, are you unable to move up to UEFI period, or when you select UEFI, you just do not get the window shown below giving the option to switch between UEFI and Legacy Support?     

Do all the other BIOS features under the Boot section do work?

Just for reference, here are the screenshots of the v2.05 BIOS taken from the BIOS simulator 

520s Boot Mode.jpg

520s Security Settings.JPG

520s Configuration.JPG

520s Information.JPG

yessspt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,455
Message 10 of 13

Hello, thanks once again for trying to help me.

About your question. Maybe I wasn't clear. The Boot Mode option is there, but I can't select it. If you check the screenshot I sent you , the option it's not blue like the other ones. It's grey or something. It acts like it's not there. I press the up arrow key to try to select it and nothing happens. 

Yes, all features work fine. Fast Boot, USB Boot etc.. everything works fine, I can enable or disable it. Only Boot Mode has this problem, it seems.

**Edit

I also tried this method by using this Windows 10 feature to boot from a USB or CD.

https://prnt.sc/k3n1lt

https://prnt.sc/k3n2b7

I got this images from a forum and I noticed that, when the user selected the boot from usb option, the pen drive name it's displayed. That doesn't happen in my case. 

In fact, when I try to use this Windows 10 feature, I keep having an error saying something about I'm not having an OS in the USB or that I don't have any usb plugged in, I don't really remember the error message.

Thanks in advance

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors