Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benccarmichael
Paper Tape
Views: 166
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad 530S-14ARR display not working

My laptop is brand new and only been used for about a month but today when I went to turn it on the screen didn't come on however the rest of the device did. I know that the rest of the laptop still works as I can plug in a monitor through the HDMI port and it functions as it should. 

Reading online I saw that the issue could be broken backlight so I tried shining a torch on the display but nothing was visible. In addition, when using the laptop on the external monitor, windows does not detect the internal display which leads me to believe that it is likely an issue with the wires connecting the internal display to the motherboard. Possibly that the display wire has come loose somehow?

So my question is; would this be covered under lenovo's standard warranty as there is no visible damage to the machine? In the time since the display was last working to when I discovered it wasn't, my laptop was sitting on a desk and not transported at all. 

Thanks in advance for any advice, 

Ben 

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 123
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad 530S-14ARR display not working

fwiw, I note you are in the UK and laptop is only 1 month old.

Have you considered the other option of contacting the retailer and having it replaced/refunded, as your contract is with the retailer, not Lenovo ?

benccarmichael
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 3 of 5

In this case the device was purchased from lenovo directly

Highlighted
Bill115
802.11n
Views: 101
Message 4 of 5

fwiw, you should be covered by standard warranty unless they find signs of abuse, such as cracked screen or water damage etc.  I presume you didn't take out 'Accidental Damage Protection'.  Have you tried phoning Lenovo UK to discuss the matter?

It could be a motherboard, cable, or LCD panel fault.  All manufacturers tend to get a bit twitchy when dealing with claims for LCD panel faults imho.

I would take some HD photos and video showing the physical condition of the laptop and its screen, and demonstrating the fault before returning it to Lenovo in case of any subsequent dispute.  Othewise, if you paid by credit card, I think you can raise the issue with the card company.

(I don't work for Lenovo btw)

benccarmichael
Paper Tape
Views: 98
Message 5 of 5

I've spoken to Lenovo via the live webchat and they are willing to take it in for warranty repair as there is no physical damage to the device. I will also take photos and video of the machine as you recommended incase a dispute a arises.

Thanks for the advice!

Ben

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors