Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharukins
Paper Tape
Views: 232
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 530S (AMD) 14ARR CPU frequency

I just bought a 530S with an 2500U processor and when putting it under load the processor downclocks heavily to its base clock as it approches 80°C and then stays at ~65°C until the programm that is producing the load is restarted.

BIOS is on performance setting.

Expected behaviour: dynamic scaling of the CPU frequency depending on the package temperature.

I think this bug also occured in the Ideapad 720S and was fixed ~ month ago.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 198
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad 530S (AMD) 14ARR CPU frequency

Hi sharukins!

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

Hi. Based on your observation, it does seem like the CPU is throttling due to heat. Looking at the processor specs https://lnv.gy/2L16QRj, the CPU has a max temp of 105°C. Although the CPU can take this much heat, it requires a good cooler to maintain 3.6GHz boost clock. Ideally, the CPU frequency downclocks if the cooling mechanism can’t keep up with the heat. I think this is by design and the BIOS has its thermal tables to protect the computer from overheating.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

sharukins
Paper Tape
Views: 183
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad 530S (AMD) 14ARR CPU frequency

okay, so your telling me that your engineers gimped the laptop on purpose?

I already said that the exact same behaviour was observed an patched on the Ideapad 720S.

The only thing I wanted to know was whether this will be fixed but now I'm going to return the laptop right away as you guys don't seem to take bugs seriously.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors