Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruthernium
Paper Tape
Views: 457
Message 1 of 15

Ideapad 530S - Loud fan

Hey people, 

I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad 530S (Intel I5) and I noticed that the fan constantly toggles between being silent to vacuum cleaner levels of noise without task manager showing any demanding tasks. That is: Browsing the web, installing a program, watching Youtube, etc. Noise would be a reason to return this laptop and buy another one. But before I do that; might there be an alternative solution? So far everything has been updated and McAfee has been removed. The bios setting are set to 'quiet mode' and Power Management has been set to passive cooling for all scenarios. Is there anything else I can try other than reinstalling Windows?

n84
Fanfold Paper
Views: 390
Message 2 of 15

Re: Ideapad 530S - Loud fan

Hi,

I have the same issue, w/o any options in BIOS/UEFI. Brand new 330 laptop, i5 8th gen. I've updated the BIOS. Returned the laptop, got a new, same issue. 

There's no heat generation that would make the fans go at vaccum noise-levels. This was an issue on the 320 series, but I got told by the at the place of purchase that it's fixed and that they didn't have any complaints. So it could have been an issue with the laptop itself. Yesterday I unpacked a new, same.

The CPU itself has internal throttling and power-mangment, so why this is happening is a big question. It's generating very little heat due to this. It has hardware decoding of 4K video and none the less every single new codec. The CPU load is at 5% on 4K as given on an review. So simple HD should not make the fans run.

I'll give it some time, then I'll return it and get the money back. Can't stand the noise. The noise was not mentioned on almost the same same setup on an UK site, same CPU just an AMD gfx card. The ambient temparature is at 22 Celsius and the laptop in on a flat surface. 

n84
Fanfold Paper
Views: 380
Message 3 of 15

I just got told that there's no way to adjust the fan settings and that there's no info if this will be possible with newer BIOS updates. Only thing you can try is controlling them trough Linux. But that's not a solution.
Ruthernium
Paper Tape
Views: 375
Message 4 of 15

Ok. Thank you for your response. So far the only thing that worked was by changing from power to battery and setting it to ''best battery life". But even then it switches on with minimal use. Maybe it's the SSD? The only thing that seems to be a common denominator is heavy disk use. For example during windows update or when copying files from an external drive to the local drive. But I am just speculating here. I will give it one more week and when the problem persists I will replace it with another laptop from another brand.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 373
Message 5 of 15

Hi Ruthernium, 

Welcome to the community forums.

Could you tell us when did you notice the issue? Do you hear the loud fan noise as soon you turn on the laptop and while working on apps? Does the issue occur on battery or while the charger is plugged in? Have you tried updating the BIOS? If not, download the updated BIOS here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

Observe the performance of the laptop after updating the BIOS.

Update us how it goes. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

n84
Fanfold Paper
Views: 317
Message 6 of 15

Edit: This was posted before I saw the last response on BIOS update.

I'm running diagnosing on the system, but there's too much noise. Sure, it's possible to set everything to save "battery life", but that will slow down the system and you won't get what you paid for. You can also set the settings under power plans for CPU use to max 50%.

I managed to control most of that in Linux(nerd), but it was for my moms birthday and it's annoying that they can't make a better solution w/o her having to switch to Linux.

I've checked the temperatures at what level the fans start going. It's about at 42 Celsius, that's too low for so much noise.

For me, just by launching Firefox and watching Youtube in HD, the CPU has built-in hardware 4K decoder, so it should not cause noise.

The SSD should not cause any issues nor raise the CPU usage, only when dealing with heavy processing. Noise from external to internal hard-drive should not make noise.

Windows Update made the laptop cause tons of noise. I have an old Acer, 5-6yrs old that makes less noise, but was the reason why I wanted to switch to a new.

I'll contact Lenovo by phone and if they don't have any answers I'll return it and switch to another brand. Noticed in the forums that the 320 series had the same issues.

Ruthernium
Paper Tape
Views: 361
Message 7 of 15

I already updated the bios. Didn't make a difference. Installed all the updates etc. The problem occurs mostly when the charger is in. 

n84
Fanfold Paper
Views: 359
Message 8 of 15

I'll try several things and keep people updated if I find any solution.

I did update the BIOS and most of the stuff. Linux is not a solution for me since the laptop was for my moms birthday and she needs Windows.

I read a solution where you could trick the fans if you put the max CPU load to 99% on both battery and when plugged in. I'll check this out. Someone else reset their system. I was thinking of running a cold install(erase everything and install pure Windows 10 from an USB-stick).

n84
Fanfold Paper
Views: 353
Message 9 of 15

Sorry for the "spam". I found out that a guy has made an application that works on some Lenovo models for fan control.

https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc

It's open-source, free and no viruses or anything.

Highlighted
Ruthernium
Paper Tape
Views: 346
Message 10 of 15

No problem. So, it doesn't list this model specifically. But it does give you a temperature readout. I am installing Starcraft II now and the CPU temp is 65 dC with fanspeed at 90 percent. According to that app. Whoever is doing the fan design at Lenovo, if you read this: how about reconsidering your design ? 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors