Did you mean: 
Highlighted
HeRoKaNe
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 1 of 8

Ideapad 700-15ISK GPU problem after replacing motherboard

Hello,

My Ideapad 700-15ISK need a mothrboard replacement after the original one died. After I got a replacement directly from China, everything seems to work except for the GTX 950M GPU. Everrytime I try to install its drivers, Windows 10 crashes with the DPC Watchdog Violation Error. I tried everything with no luck. Also, in my machine's Serial Number shows INVALID in BIOS.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 71
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ideapad 700-15ISK GPU problem after replacing motherboard

Hi HeRoKaNe!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

We recommend isolating the cause of the blue screen. It is possible that either the Dedicated or Integrated
Please follow these instructions

Open Device manager
Expand Display Adapters
Right Click the GTX 950M GPU
Select Disable
Once disabled try to update the Intel Display driver from here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/700-series/700-15isk/downloads
Check if you are able to install this without the crash happening

If it doesnt happen try Disabling the Intel Card next then try the same steps.

Let me know how this goes. Thanks.

Admin note: link shortener converted to full URL for clarity

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

HeRoKaNe
Paper Tape
Views: 70
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your reply.

I did exactly that and the results were clear. The integrated graphics card is working just fine in both cases. The problem happens wen I try to install the drivers for the dedicated GPU GTX 950M. So, as log as the dedicated GPU is disabled from the BIOS or its drivers are not installed, the machine is working properly. 

This happens on both windows 7 & Windows 10.

Any chance this might be a hardware problem?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 67
Message 4 of 8

Hello HeRoKaNe, Thanks for writing back. We recommend performing a Clean install of the Nvidia Driver
Follow these instructions

The best way to uninstall NVIDIA drivers is to use the NVIDIA Clean Install Method through the latest drivers.

To completely uninstall drivers, Use NVIDIA driver to uninstall previous drivers. To do this you can download the latest NVIDIA driver from this link https://lnv.gy/2wTHe4j

Once you select the proper driver, run the installer. Select Custom Install, then Perform Clean Install. This process will completely erase all previous NVIDIA drivers and install the latest version.

If this does not work there is a high possibility that the dedicated card has hardware issues.

Let me know how this goes. Thanks.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

HeRoKaNe
Paper Tape
Views: 62
Message 5 of 8

Yes, I tried the Clean Install method with no luck. The errors I get the most is (DPC_Watchdog_Violation) & (VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR).

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 61
Message 6 of 8

Hello HeRoKaNe, Thanks for keeping me updated. If this is the case I would recommend taking the machine to a local service center as there is a high chance that the dedicated graphics card of the machine is already experiencing hardware issues. You can use this link https://support.lenovo.com/bd/en/solutions/ht118678?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 to find a local service center. Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks.

HeRoKaNe
Paper Tape
Views: 60
Message 7 of 8

Thank you. I will do that.

One final question, is in fact the GPU problem is hardware-related, does this mean I'll have to replace the entire motherboard or just the GPU?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 56
Message 8 of 8

Hello HeRoKaNe, Thanks for writing back. We have done the research and you can go ahead and remove the defective GPU and have it replaced with a functioning one. Hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors