Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgunn925
What's DOS?
Views: 2,844
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad 700-15ISK Wake on LAN ?

Does anybody know if the Ideapad 700 supports Wake on LAN? There does not appear to be an option for it in BIOS Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Brandon

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,773
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad 700-15ISK Wake on LAN ?

@bgunn925 wrote:

Does anybody know if the Ideapad 700 supports Wake on LAN? There does not appear to be an option for it in BIOS

Start Windows and go to the "Device Manager" panel.  In the "Network adapters" section, view the properties for the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller".  On the "Power Management" tab, you can choose to enable or disable "Allow this device to wake the computer".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

bgunn925
What's DOS?
Views: 2,765
Message 3 of 5

I've done that but from doing some research online it seems that when the BIOS does not have a WoL option that this only works in some cases and not in others. I don't have another computer on the network to do the waking up so I am trying to set up WoL over the internet. I have assigned my laptop a static ip and set up port forwarding with my router but it does not seem to work when I send a magic packet through an online service (ultimately, this is for use with TeamViewer). The problem is that I haven't done this before and while I think I've done everything correctly, I don't feel confident concluding that my laptop is incapable of it as there are too many other variables for me to rule out. It appears that my laptop not being capable is a very likely, especially since there is no BIOS option, so I'm hoping someone can give me a firm yes or no so I don't go around in circles trying to fix the setup for something that can never work.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,738
Message 4 of 5

@bgunn925 wrote:

it seems that when the BIOS does not have a WoL option that this only works in some cases and not in others.

I tried this on my Ideapad 700-15ISK, trying to wake it from my old Sony laptop on my home network.  This is what I found:

(1) The 700 needs to be in Windows 10 "Home" group (otherwise the WinXP Sony does not see the 700).

(2) The 700 needs to be powered from the mains adapter; WOL does not work if the 700 is on battery power.

(3) The 700 can be woken from sleep using a magic packet, but not from hibernation or off.

(4) The power-saving option ("Power Management" tab in "Device Manager") did not seem to make any difference.

The inability to wake from hibernation (or off) is a disappointment, but perhaps this is normal for magic packets?  My HTPC (a Dell tower system) has no difficulty waking from hibernation, but that is in response to a device powering up at the end of the ethernet cable (it  does not use a magic packet to trigger the wake).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

bgunn925
What's DOS?
Views: 2,723
Message 5 of 5

Wow, thank you for taking the time to do that, much appreciated! I had given up but now that I know it can be done I will give it another go! Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors