cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madfist
Paper Tape
Views: 1,303
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 700 15ISK nvidia doesn't work (BSOD, screen freeze)

Hi all,

I just got an Ideapad 700 15ISK (80RU) laptop with nVidia GeForce GTX950M and I can't get it to work.

So far I tried:

• Windows 7 x64 SP1: fresh install, installed all drivers before graphics.
    • installed lenovo provided Intel graphics driver - installs fine, works fine
    • installed lenovo provided nVidia driver - installs fine, BSOD after restart (nvlddmkm.sys)
    • removed nVidia driver in Safe Mode
    • installed latest Intel driver - installs fine, works fine
    • installed latest nVidia driver - installs fine, BSOD after restart (nvlddmkm.sys)
  • Windows 10 x64: fresh install, installed all drivers before graphics
    • installed lenovo provided Intel graphics driver - installs fine, works fine
    • installed lenovo provided nVidia driver - installs stops, watchdog BSOD
    • used restore to get rid of driver
    • installed latest nVidia driver - installs stops, watchdog BSOD
    • use restore to get rid of driver
    • update Windows, which installed some Intel and nVidia drivers - system starts but screen freezes the moment I'm trying to use something that I suppose needs graphics (e.g. Edge, Store), and I can only hard reset
    • in nVidia Control Panel tried selecting Auto, nVidia only, Intel only - none of them works
    • the system is only stable if I force integrated graphics in BIOS
    • also read about this supposed Optimus technology - there no mention aboout it in the BIOS, I can only select UMA only (integrated) or Discrete (auto)

As a last resort I'll try to install some Linux as well, but I don't have much hope.

Any suggestion is appriciated.

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 1,224
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad 700 15ISK nvidia doesn't work (BSOD, screen freeze)

Hi madfist, 

Can you try using DDU un-installer to remove the Intel and NVidia drivers, after that could you try downloading the latest drivers from their respective manufacturers. I would also recommend blocking any windows update for the video card drivers. Here's the KB article to hide driver update on windows 10.

If this does not work you may need to call Warranty Support. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
madfist
Paper Tape
Views: 1,219
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad 700 15ISK nvidia doesn't work (BSOD, screen freeze)

Hi jamdy17,

I used DDU as well. Also read about driver TDR timeouts, tried changing it as well. It just made the error appear less frequently in the event log, but the screen freezed anyway.

Called support and the laptop is on its way to Germany for a possible motherboard replacement.

Top Kudoed Authors