Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schpinn
Paper Tape
Views: 7,570
Message 1 of 9

Ideapad 700-15ISK wi-fi not working in Windows 7

I installed Windows 7 x64 on my Ideapad 700-15ISK, installed all drivers downloaded from the support page but for some reason cannot get wi-fi to work. I see it in device manager (no exclamation marks anywhere), the network interface is not disabled, and yet I cannot search for any wireless networks. I am assuming that the wi-fi interface is actually hard-disabled (via the FN keys; looking at Windows Mobility Center seems to confirm this because it says "wireless off" and the "turn on" button is greyed out and disabled) but I cannot find a way to re-enable it.

This article tells you how to re-enable it, but in my case nothing happens when I press FN+F5 (Lenovo utility is of course installed):

https://support.lenovo.com/hr/en/documents/ht072689

I'm presuming this is because I don't have Energy Management installed since I cannot find it anywhere (it's not on the support page for the laptop).

Can anyone push me in the right direction? Does anyone else have a similar problem?

EDIT: the laptop has Intel wi-fi if that matters

hakeryk2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,368
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ideapad 700-15ISK wi-fi not working in Windows 7

I have the same problem. I tried almost everything to get this working but I failed. The device is recognized but not enabled. Windows is telling me that I have to turn it on manually via switch but there is no switch ... I installed pretty much everything. Lenovo - please help.

hakeryk2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,365
Message 3 of 9

Holyyyy cow... I found out that shortcut that You have to use is fn+f7 (to switch airplane mode!) When You do that on screen will show 2 icons - wifi and bluetooth - just click on them to active it and wifi is working!

I installed touchpad and Lenovo utilities drivers as well.

jorge-16
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,284
Message 4 of 9

Hi,

unfortunately I can not confirm the above method, since the f7 (fn+f7) does nothing (however every other fn key works as expected).

So everything that OP said is still the same as of today - I won't repeat that -, but I must state again, that we are talking about Windows 7 x64 - maybe the prevous poster forgot that.

To add some new info about the problem - although it's almost clear, that the missing Energy Management component is causing this error - these are the devices with missing driver:

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Unknown device (root\Lenovo\Vhid)

Unknown device (ACPI\VPC2004)

So if someone at Lenovo reads this, please help!

hakeryk2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,264
Message 5 of 9

No, I did not forgot that we are talking about Windows 7 64 bit. I was struggling with this issue for 8 hours and my solution was working in this exact same model and exact same version Windows. I know that sounds weird but did you installed Touchpad drivers and Lenovo utilites? Those were the last one that I installed and after that (and reboot) the shortcut for airplane mode was activated) and there I was able to switch on Wi-Fi and blutooth.

Link to touch pad -> https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/83o502wf.exe

Utilities -> https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/wwlb090e.exe

Give it a try and let me know.

jorge-16
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,254
Message 6 of 9

Of course, I have installed all the drivers available... But to make it sure I uninstalled-rebooted-reinstalled these 2, but after rebooting, the associated fn keys has still no effect Smiley Sad

I guess we have to dig deeper, but no clue where to begin.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,246
Message 7 of 9

@jorge-16 wrote:

To add some new info about the problem - although it's almost clear, that the missing Energy Management component is causing this error - these are the devices with missing driver:

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Unknown device (root\Lenovo\Vhid)

Unknown device (ACPI\VPC2004)

I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an Ideapad 700-15ISK, using a retail DVD that already had SP1 installed.

Yes, there were lots of devices with missing drivers, but after downloading and installing the Windows 7 drivers from the Lenovo support page, there are now no devices flagged in "Device Manager" as non-working.  However, I currently use wired networking, so cannot confirm that your specific wi-fi problem is solved.  For your missing drivers:

(1) The "PCI Simple Communications Controller" is (I think) the "Intel Remote Management Engine".  Download the software from the Lenovo support page for the 700-15ISK.

(2) The "Vhid" device is not quite so obvious, but I think that it is the camera.  Download the software from the Lenovo support page.

(3) The "ACPI\VPC2004" device needs the drivers contained in the "Lenovo Energy Management" application.  This is NOT available on the Lenovo support page, but when I searched the Lenovo web site, I found several references to various versions of the application, which can be downloaded.  This old version worked:

http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/Driver/en/Downloads%20and%20Drivers/G460&G560/WIN7/IN1EGC15WW6....

as did this newer version (even though it has a lower version number):

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-45-noteboo...

Both include the missing driver, and both support the "battery conservation" feature.  I found the older version to have bigger text (so easier to read), but its battery conservation mode charged the battery to circa 80%, whereas the newer version charges to circa 60%.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

jorge-16
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,224
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

indeed, the linked "Energy Management" app solved the problem, the F7 key now works as expected and the wifi and bluetooth can be switched on/off.

I'm pretty sure, that now I have installed everything from the support page but the root\Lenovo\Vhid is still listed as Unknown device. In Windows 10 it's called "UMDF HID minidriver Device" and installed by the Flight Mode Driver. Since - as far as I can tell - Windows 7 has no such concept as "airplane mode" and everyhing still works just fine, I guess, I can live without that, although I'm still curious what made it work..

Anyway, thank you very much for your help, I think we can mark this topic as solved.

Gy

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,215
Message 9 of 9

@jorge-16 wrote:

I'm pretty sure, that now I have installed everything from the support page but the root\Lenovo\Vhid is still listed as Unknown device.

I have just checked Windows 7 "Device Manager" on my 700-15ISK again, to make sure that I had not missed anything.  All of the devices are shown as working.  There are no unknown devices present.  So your unknown device is a bit of a puzzle! Smiley Frustrated

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors