concerning my personal Ideapad 700 15isk laptop with specs:

TYPE: 80RU

SERIAL#:****

CPU: i7 6700hq 2.60GHz quad core

RAM: 8Gb

VRam: Nvidia GTX950m 4Gb and intel HD530

BIOS: E5CN56WW
Antivirus: Eset anti virus 9

Ever since I installed the latest BIOS update I've been having weird slow down issues and general perfomance problems. One of the most annoying big/impossible to experience fps drops in all games. I can confirm the fps drops are not caused by any of the drivers, Intel or Nvidia's, I've reinstalled and completely renewed both drivers, no changes.

Particular examples:
-chrome starts fine, horrible slowing down after a few minutes

-Civilization 6: went from 40~60 fps to 10~20 fps (unplayable)
-World of Warcraft:Legion from 50~80fps to 20~40fps (spikes up to 60)
-MS Visual Studio 2015 extremely long loading and start up times, frequent crashes, freezes and debug applications running horribly on this computer, that run fine on my older Lenovo laptop from 4 years ago!

What I've tried:
-Reinstalling the BIOS, did nothing
-Reinstalling video drivers, did nothing (both NVidia and Intel)
-Reinstalling most of the drivers including audio, chipset, ... No fix

-Completely reinstalled Windows 10 from recovery, fixed nothing

-Hardware scan via Lenovo companion: No problems found

What I would prefer is a previous version of the BIOS if possible, installing that again to see if that fixes my problem, I know I had a BIOS version from before the Lenovo splash change at boot (Now it's with the orange fireworks stuff), my previous BIOS version is from before that, the plain black and white Lenovo logo... I bought this laptop only about a month ago early october, maybe that will help.

So can I somehow retrieve a previous version of a BIOS? I can't find one anywhere, and I understand for good reason. But the performance of my laptop right now is horrid, and not at all comparable to before the update.

Cheers

Mod's Edit: Serial number removed from public view to protect owner from its unwanted use.

UPDATE: 18 November

I seem to have found the bottleneck, it's not the GPU it's the CPU.

What goes wrong: after some testing I noticed this, running a CPU benchmark I noticed my 7 of the 8 cpu cores (i7 6700hq 4virtual) averaging at around 10-15% capacity, no overheating at around 35-40 degrees celsius. 1 core however was running at 100% constantly, core number 4. This is when the slowdown happens.

Now I plugged my laptop in and out and immediately  all cores jump up to 40-50% during the benchmark and core 4 isn't stuck at 100% anymore, this fixes the slowdown temperature stays around 40-45 degrees, but!

What's weird:

This "fix"(plugging in and out) only works for your active focused application. This means if you are playing a game, it will work and speed the game up, but if you alt-tab out the program slows down again and will need to be "fixed"again. So I have a problem that I can reproduce, it really sounds like some voodoo magic to me, but I hope somebody actually knows what's going on.

Summary: It's not the VGA/GPU I make sure my dedicated graphics card runs the heavier applications, and I can confirm that it doesn't appear to be an overheating issue (temp never goes above 45-50 degrees max), plugging in and out is a fix but only per active forground application.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,685
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ideapad 700 15isk a lot slower after BIOS update E5CN56WW

It's no fix, but I manage to recover from the slowdowns by disconnecting and reconnecting my laptop from the power net. Why? I do not know.
HenrikLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 3,680
Message 3 of 9

I also have an Ideapad 700 15isk. I was going to update BIOS later tonight since I assumed a newer version of BIOS is always the better one.

But this made me hesitate..

So if I understand correctly the disconnecting and reconnecting the laptop from the power net, is just a temporally fix? After awhile it returns with slowdowns again?

Have you checked that your running in balanced or high performance power plan settings?

Have you tried to right click the icon for your games and make sure you select to use the Geforce GTX graphics?
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,669
Message 4 of 9

I'm going to be honest here, I don't know if the problem coincidentally occurred after I updated my BIOS, but the plug-in - plug-out fix seems to indicate that there might be some overheating issue, which also causes the loss in performance. That aside, I plugged in and out once, that fixed it during this boot. ---- The BIOS update is not marked as essential or important, so if your computer works fine now, or if we might get a proper explanation on how, what or why exactly goes wrong from a mod (possible?) I'd say ignore it for now Smiley Happy Better safe than sorry, don't break that what needs no fixing
HenrikLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 3,637
Message 5 of 9

Maybe the problem could have something to do with the latest drivers from Nvidia:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/976636/geforce-drivers/official-375-86-game-ready-whql-disp...

A lot of people are reporting strange issues/huge fps drops in many games.

Nvidia are working on new drivers, but in the meantime you could try and install an older version of the nvidia drivers.
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,628
Message 6 of 9

UPDATE: 18 November

I seem to have found the bottleneck, it's not the GPU it's the CPU.

What goes wrong: after some testing I noticed this, running a CPU benchmark I noticed my 7 of the 8 cpu cores (i7 6700hq 4virtual) averaging at around 10-15% capacity, no overheating at around 35-40 degrees celsius. 1 core however was running at 100% constantly, core number 4. This is when the slowdown happens.

Now I plugged my laptop in and out and immediately  all cores jump up to 40-50% during the benchmark and core 4 isn't stuck at 100% anymore, this fixes the slowdown temperature stays around 40-45 degrees, but!

What's weird:

This "fix"(plugging in and out) only works for your active focused application. This means if you are playing a game, it will work and speed the game up, but if you alt-tab out the program slows down again and will need to be "fixed"again. So I have a problem that I can reproduce, it really sounds like some voodoo magic to me, but I hope somebody actually knows what's going on.

Summary: It's not the VGA/GPU I make sure my dedicated graphics card runs the heavier applications, and I can confirm that it doesn't appear to be an overheating issue (temp never goes above 45-50 degrees max), plugging in and out is a fix but only per active forground application.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,619
Message 7 of 9

@Cron wrote:

So can I somehow retrieve a previous version of a BIOS? I can't find one anywhere.

I purchased my Ideapad 700-15ISK earlier this year, and it was shipped with BIOS version E5CN24WW.  I later downloaded and installed a newer BIOS, which was E5CN52WW.  I have downloaded the latest E5CN56WW, but I have not installed it yet.  Of course, I still have the EXE file for E5CN52WW on my hard disk...

I am sure that when the software and BIOS maintenance teams make updates to the software or BIOS, they make every effort to ensure that no new bugs are introduced by the changes, and try to test in as many different scenarios as possible.  Nevertheless, they cannot test every combination of hardware and software, so new bugs are to be expected.  I think it sensible therefore to make earlier versions of software and BIOS available for download, for users who find that the new versions introduce new bugs.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,612
Message 8 of 9

I seem to have found a permanent fix (based on the Y700 series using the same CPU) using a program called ThrottleStop and this guide

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/49uma8/guide_y70015isk_i76700hq_throttlestop_undervolt/

I copied the settings for performance mode and that seems to fix all slowdown issues, CIV6 using 70-80% CPU (wow) has the fan running non stop but temperatures are staying in safe parameters, between 50-55 degrees celsius sometimes spiking to 70 (max) but instantly cooling down.

I'll be doing a long test tomorrow of several hours and will then decide if this problem can be considered solved or not

Cheers

Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,592
Message 9 of 9

Okay, I had to replace my ESET antivirus due some complaints and license issues, I did and have installed a new antivirus. Long story short problems are gone now, even without the temporary fix. My problems are solved, without explanation however.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors