Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,404
Message 1 of 9

Ideapad 700-17 battery issues

Hi guys,

got my notebook yesterday, so it is only 1 day old.

1st problem (not primary): When I check warranty status online it says:

START DATE: 2016-09-13

Why in September? I bought my notebook 2 days ago?!

2nd problem (primary): Battery issues

At 70 or 80% my notebook DIMMED display and told me battery is critically low (!!?). After 1 second all was okay.

Now I am charging it...

It wont charge to 100%

First it says 99%... 1 minute until finish.... now 5 minutes until finish.

FAULTY BATTERY?!

ADVICE?

Thanks

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,343
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ideapad 700-17 battery issues

@Keano16 wrote:

2nd problem (primary): Battery issues

At 70 or 80% my notebook DIMMED display and told me battery is critically low (!!?). After 1 second all was okay.

Now I am charging it...  It wont charge to 100%

First it says 99%... 1 minute until finish.... now 5 minutes until finish.  FAULTY BATTERY?!

The software that controls the charging and discharging of the battery needs to learn the characteristics of your particular sample.  The recommendation with new laptops (or new batteries) is to run them through a full discharge/recharge cycle several times (with no recharging of partially discharged batteries).  Hopefully, you will then find that the battery charge indicator (as a percentage charge, or as a usable time remaining) is more accurate.

Edit:

Once the software has learnt the characteristics of your battery, you can then recharge partially charged batteries without problem, but a full discharge/recharge is still recommended occasionally (perhaps once every three months).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,334
Message 3 of 9

Thanks.. makes sense, of course.

I did 1 or 2 partially cargings in this 2 days.. but I will proceed with full discharge => charge procedure for 5 cycles.

1 questions: how to completely discharge the battery? My notebook goes to sleep after it reaches 5% (this can't be disabled in windows).
Should I just keep turning it ON until it won't turn ON again?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,323
Message 4 of 9

@Keano16 wrote:

One question: how to completely discharge the battery? My notebook goes to sleep after it reaches 5% (this can't be disabled in windows).

My old Sony laptop running WinXP has an adjustable threshold for the minimum percentage remaining before the system is forced to hibernate or shutdown, but that may be Sony-specific software (I have it set at 3%).

5% remaining is fine for the threshold.  Bear in mind that these numbers are estimates made by the software, and may not reflect exactly the charge state of the battery.  Also (important point this) you wouldn't want to use a threshold that was so low (1%, say) that in trying to hibernate or shutdown the system, Windows corrupted the hard disk whilst writing essential data to the disk with a battery unable to supply sufficient power to spin the disk at the correct speed.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,293
Message 5 of 9

Welcome to the forums Keano16!

If info about the warranty in the system is not correct it can be fixed by sending the reguest with attached proof of purchase via this system - Lenovo Services Registration Support .

In the drop down menu for Request type choose Base Warranty change/Purchase date update

Warranty.PNG

Kind regards,

Pavlo Antalovtsi
Community Manager
joeblack_vu
What's DOS?
Views: 1,139
Message 6 of 9

Hello,
Im having battery problems on my ideapad 700/17 ISK too
Bought it maybe month ago,but the problem is here almost from the first day.
Did all that is necesary in the first days with battery (charging/discharging)
It just keps diming the screen and informing me that the battery level is criticaly low.
I dont know what to do,im pretty bussy ,that is first reason i did not take it to repair,
second reason is I dont whant to leave my necesary notebook
in some service for 40 days to sit on some shelf because some probably softver prroblem.
Does any one know what to do to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,136
Message 7 of 9

I think this is hardware error.

I sent my laptop for service because of this battery issues (same as yours) and it was working slow. And they gave my money back.

Note sure because of battery or HDD.

AbieAmadea
Token Ring
Views: 753
Message 8 of 9

Good news, the new bios E5CN60WW seems to fix this problem. try it out.

payne23
What's DOS?
Views: 700
Message 9 of 9

tnx

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors