Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-02-2019

Denmark

13 Signins

101 Page Views

• Views: 101
  • Message 1 of 6

Ideapad 700-17ISK keyboard problem

2019-09-02, 23:12 PM

Hello all.

My keyboard suddenly stopped working on some of the keys - other people have reported keyboard problems like this (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/ideapad-700-15ISK-Keyboard-missing-keystrokes/td-p/3401035) but in my case, it doesn't type choppy... it simply does not type any characters when pressing QWERUIOP in either upper- or lowercase.

TAB works, T/t and Y/y works and every other key (except the ones, mentioned) works. When connecting an external keyboard, there are no problems at all.

It actually worked choppy for a short time and when I pressed one of the affected keys, it typed the letter repeatedly in a crazy speed (like, 20 chars pr. second)... and suddenly - after a reboot - the same keys stopped working completely.

Windows has been completely reinstalled (at first, I thought it was a softwareproblem and reinstalled Windows) and connecting an external keyboard works fine. BIOS has been flashed to the latest version, but the problem persists.

System diagnostics does not find any hardware problems, although it doesn't include a keyboard test :)

Battery test has been performed (draining/charging), as someone indicated, it could be a battery related issue.

Any suggestions?

Options

9154 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77968 Signins

2236685 Page Views

• Views: 2236685
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad 700-17ISK keyboard problem

2019-09-03, 0:33 AM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

5 Posts

09-02-2019

Denmark

13 Signins

101 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re: Ideapad 700-17ISK keyboard problem

2019-09-03, 7:14 AM

Update: I removed the battery connector, running only from mains. The keyboard worked again (sort of). Whenever I typed one of the affected keys (QWERUIOP), it typed 3-4 identical letters of that key.

I then reconnected the battery and the letters stopped working completely.

Someone once said, only idiots do the same mistake twice and expect a different outcome - but nevertheless, I disconnected the battery again... and now, the keyboard worked 100%.

So: it seems, it's related to the issue, linked in my original post, after all.

Options

5 Posts

09-02-2019

Denmark

13 Signins

101 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

Re:Ideapad 700-17ISK keyboard problem

2020-12-05, 0:53 AM

Update 2 - the problem is the ribbon cable that breaks after a while when the battery presses against it. In my case, it was invisible for the naked eye.

Replacing the keyboard or palmrest is the only option to get it working again. Forget about trying to shorten the ribbon cable. The wires will break when removing the insulation.

I've given up. First, I bought a keyboard with a different shaped enter-key (which doesn't fit in the case). Then I ordered for the Y700-17ISK, believing it was the same thing. It isn't. The layout is fine and it works fine - but the ribbon cable is located in a different position, making it impossible to connect.

Options

1 Posts

12-27-2020

Czech Republic

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-12-27, 15:02 PM

Maaan, you are a saint for keeping this thread alive, thank you! Had this problem for over a year and I was practically forced to have my external keyboard plugged in all the time.
I need to make sure here - the problem isn't the battery then, it's the hardware (ribbon cable) by the keyboard? Therefore only option is to have the keyboard completely switched for a new one in a service center, correct?

Options

5 Posts

09-02-2019

Denmark

13 Signins

101 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-12-29, 0:48 AM

Yes, that is correct.

Earlier, it worked for me when the battery was removed. At first, it lead me to believe the battery were to blame - but a more likely explanation was that it didn't press against the ribbon cable. However, the "fix" didn't last for long.

The keyboards aren't very expensive (around 15-20€ on Ebay) and if you know how to handle a screwdriver and keep the screws and cables organized, it isn't that hard. It's also possible to buy the entire aluminium chassis with the keyboard embedded. However, getting it replaced at a service center will probably cost you a substantial amount of money.

If you're feeling lucky, the only things to be aware of, is to be sure that you obtain the right keyboard - and that the keyboard backplate is fastened by melted plastic pins, which needs to be scraped off. I used a bit of superglue to reattach the metal plate to the casing.

I found a detalied video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3iL5BlrFQk

As mentioned, I didn't succeed because I bought the wrong type of keyboards - but I tested them on the disassembled computer and they worked perfectly. I might give it a final go, if I'm able to obtain a nordic keyboard for the right model (not the Y-model) and I'm in the right mood. Otherwise, I'll give it to the kids, who will appreciate it, with or without a working keyboard.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms