Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badcrc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,138
Message 1 of 9

Ideapad 700 Elantech Touchpad Right Click / Popup Menu / Context Menu problem

I just bought an Ideapad 700 and I love everything about it until I noticed I couldn't bring up a context menu (right click, popup menu, whatever you call it where you are).  I tried for nearly 3 hours and the best I came up with was making the 3 finger double tap into the right click menu.  Uninstalling the elantech driver and using the Microsoft Windows 10 driver didn't work.  I installed the Asus driver and that actually did work for the 2 finger double tap right click, but I hate that too.  I just want normal touchpad behavior where you hit the right button area for the context menu.  Is there any way to do that behavior, or just have 2 finger single tap?  I didn't expect to pay this much for a laptop and spend hours on something this stupid.  It's almost becoming a deal-breaker for me.

Guru
Views: 2,131
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ideapad 700 Elantech Touchpad Right Click / Popup Menu / Context Menu problem

Right click with right button: Enable it through élan utility

Two finger tap for right click -> Registry mod

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

badcrc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,124
Message 3 of 9

Re: Ideapad 700 Elantech Touchpad Right Click / Popup Menu / Context Menu problem

Right click with right button with elan utility didn't work out of the box.  For the two finger tap do you mean single or double tap?  If you mean single tap, do you have the registry entry handy for that?  All I could find was old posts and a post where someone posted their entire registry tree for the touchpad.  I don't really want to import an entire registry tree, just the needed entries.  If you mean double tap, I don't want that, but I could only get that working with the Asus driver, which is missing many other features of the elantech driver.

Guru
Views: 2,116
Message 4 of 9

No i mean two fingers with one tap for right click. I don't have the registry keys but i recall a y700 review mentioning it. You probably have a corrupted driver, i never had such a problem with single right click. Did you install lenovo drivers or though windows update?

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

badcrc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,108
Message 5 of 9

On the very first startup I noticed right click wasn't working, so i tried everything in the driver I could find and I tried various combos of two fingers thinking I was doing something wrong...turns out a lot of people have the same problem. First thing I tried was updating the driver from lenovo's site, but it was the same one I had. Second thing I tried was uninstalling the elantech driver completely so on reboot it was using the Microsoft driver, but I guess Windows just detected it as a mouse, since I had no touchpad configuration. Third thing I tried was installing the latest Elantech driver I could find from google on asus.com. That finally let me right click by double tap two fingers or three fingers. Nothing seems to work hitting the button areas of the touchpad with any of the drivers. Those areas are just like hitting the rest of the touchpad.
Guru
Views: 2,106
Message 6 of 9

This starts to sound like a hardware problem. Make a live usb with linux and boot. If right click is not working there too then its a hardware problem

badcrc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,100
Message 7 of 9

I'll try it when I get home in a couple hours, thanks. Could be hardware but the touchpad does work in those areas...it just responds like the rest of the touchpad, like the button areas aren't buttons.
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,079
Message 8 of 9

@badcrc wrote:
I'll try it when I get home in a couple hours, thanks. Could be hardware but the touchpad does work in those areas...it just responds like the rest of the touchpad, like the button areas aren't buttons.

Apologies if this is a stupid suggestion (I may have misunderstood your problem), but...

Do you realise that the touchpad has two physical buttons along the edge nearest to the user?  If you depress the left corner or the right corner, you get a physical click (for left mouse and right mouse respectively).  In contrast, the other two corners (furthest away from the user) don't depress.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

badcrc
Paper Tape
Views: 2,073
Message 9 of 9

Ya, I didn't realize when I first got it that they were buttons until I looked at the description for the gestures in the driver, but I didn't realize until the second night I used it the entire touchpad is also a button.  I can't remember exactly but maybe I started messing with the drivers before I figured that out.  I don't know, but after I uninstalled the Asus driver and restarted and installed the Lenovo.com driver again and restarted, then configured the settings again, now everything seems to work fine.  The swipe down/up/left/right from edge wasn't working before either, now it does.  I'm really relieved because I ordered from Adorama and they only put one piece of bubblewrap in the shipping box so the laptop box was sliding around inside.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors