Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eveneves
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,176
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad 710s-13IKB CPU too eager to turbo clock, has erratic fan control

Hi, I've read about some issue with yoga 710 fan noise that was recently fixed with a BIOS update. Is there an update for ideapad 710s-13IKB on the way? The unofficial third-party fan controller software doesn't work, perhaps because this laptop has two fans.

Just installing some software for example causes the i5-7200u CPU to overclock to over 3GHz  which seems unnecessary. Limiting the CPU max clock to 70% from power management settings helps but is an ugly fix because it's a constant limit. When the temperature is +40C the left side fan stays on.... +39 and below the fan seems to shut down, but doesn't happen unless I let the computer idle for a long time. The fan control seems to jump every 10 degrees. +70C and above is the highest level. Because of the over-eager turbo clock the laptop can reach +70C very quickly and go into full fan power when doing low-intensity tasks. It does this every time I power on, and it takes a minute to lower the clock and fans down to reasonable levels. I noticed the fan issue straight away when I installed the W10 anniversary update. CPU/fan issue could be linked to high hard drive activity also.

Also, the Lenovo Battery Gauge doesn't appear no matter how many times I try to enable it. It just doesn't want to show up on the task bar. Is it a seperate issue or are these two related?

eveneves
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,063
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad 710s-13IKB CPU too eager to turbo clock, has erratic fan control

Well after learning to use the third-party program (set to the 500s profile) it's a non-isssue for me now. Performance is great with the standard power plan. As a general comment I love the hardware, but if Lenovo doesn't customize the fan profiles for each model they should provide us a program that lets us modify them. This can really drive away some people.

I'll make a seperate thread about the battery gauge if it doesn't appear soon.

Vixie
What's DOS?
Views: 2,044
Message 3 of 5

how the hell did the 500s config work? ive tried the 500s config but literally nothing is happening...............

StigguLePetit
What's DOS?
Views: 1,612
Message 4 of 5

With my Lenovo 710S-13IKB the 500S config works! But NFBC keeps shutting down. I always have to restart it. What could be the problem there? And is it no problem for my Laptop to use another config (like the 500s one)?

Vixie
What's DOS?
Views: 1,600
Message 5 of 5

are you minimizing it or are you pressing X?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors