nsg-nsg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,365
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad 720S-13ARR not recognising Anker USB-C to HDMI adapter

I just got a new Ideapad 720S-13ARR, I bought two Anker adapters:

• USB 3.0 to Ethernet
  • USB-C to HDMI adapter

The ethernet adapter works just fine. On the contrary, the USB-C to HDMI adapter does not works.

I checked the adapter in another Dell laptop, and it works like a charm. But in the Lenovo, it is recognised by Windows as some "USB 2.0 BILLBOARD" device, it kind of gives the impression that Windows knows there is an external display since it lets you pick the projection mode, however it won't be able to read what monitor it is, and it won't display any image at all.

I seem to have the latest BIOS and drivers, but I'm curious if I there is a particular Windows driver that I should force on this device as opposed to the default one that is getting (for that billboard thing). I saw other threads in this forum for Yoga noteboooks which were apparently resolved by a BIOS update, but I already have the latest. And I saw other threads in which a very significant amount of users are reporting all sort of problems with Lenovo's Type-C ports and these adapters.

Has anyone been successful with this laptop and with any HDMI or VGA adapter? Does anyone knows if the Lenovo branded adapter works fine? Any particular driver I should force this device to use?

Cheers!

Nestor.

nsg-nsg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,308
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad 720S-13ARR not recognising Anker USB-C to HDMI adapter

So, bad news and good news...

Bad news. Unfortunately Lenovo support and sales were quite unhelpful.

• With support it went like this. Support: "sorry, but if you have the latest BIOS, firmware, drivers, and the adapter doesn't work, is the fault of the adapter", Me: but the adapter works on a Dell laptop, on a HP laptop, and on a Mac laptop. Support: "all I can do is pass you to another department". Me: but, it is clear that your Type C USB firmware in this laptop needs for your R&D team to upgrade the firmware and fix incompatibilities with a standard, I'd be glad to help out, you guys very recently did it for the Yoga laptops, it's on a thread. Support: "please make sure you answer the survey".
  • With sales it went like this. Me: I recently bought this laptop, I need a HDMI adapter for it and I'm having a hard time finding compatible adapters. Sales: "this is the one you should get (adds link to a Lenovo adapter)". Me: are you sure that's compatible?. Sales: "Of course, plus if it doesn't, you can always return for a 'full' refund minus the restocking fee". Me: That's not what a full refund is. Anyway, how did you determined that it was a compatible adapter? Has it been tested? Sales: "well, I just went to lenovo.com and search for adapter and it's the first hit"... Me: I give up. Sales: "please fill out the survey and add my Rep number if you buy it". 
  • There are many threads even claiming that Lenovo branded adapters not work in some models.

So, now the good news. I found a partial solution at least for my needs.

• The Anker USB-C to HDMI adapter did not worked, and I'll return it.
  • However, here in my office, we had some spare USB-C to DVI adapters, and one out of 3 adapters actually worked. To make matters more exciting (sarcasm) it only works in one of the USB-C ports... the one that is not for power delivery. Both are suppose to support DisplayPort, but this adapter only worked in the one that is not for power delivery. So, the only one adapter that worked is this one: Coboc AD-ALT-C2DVI-6WH 6inch White DisplayPort ALT USB 3.1 Type C to DVI-D Adapter Converter
  • Going with that adapter is OK for me since my monitor accepts DVI too. Although I'd have preferred a HDMI or VGA solution.

Bottomline... if somebody has the same issue, that adapter may be a good alternative solution, other than returning the laptop. Which I did not considered, it's an awesome laptop aside from this issue. And I sure hope that down the road a firmware update will fix this.

Others could try also a USB 3.0 adapter instead of the USB-C, I did not had access to any of those. But this seems to point to a Type C firmware issue. (Lenovo are you listening?)

Cheers!

Nestor.

zero6699
What's DOS?
Views: 2,250
Message 3 of 7

So I have also only had luck with the none power deliver port for video out, but using a Lenovo C107 & Thinkpad USB-C Dock I have had no problem outputing video with them.  I have tried 3 screens hooked up to it and display manager shows all 3 but I can only get two display ports or one DP + VGA.  Also I should mention that I have been able to charge the laptop while plugged into the front most USB C port.

*edit*

Here are links to the docks I have tried.

Lenovo C107

Thinkpad USB-C Dock

davezzka
Paper Tape
Views: 2,179
Message 4 of 7

Unfortunately I have the same problem Smiley Sad- Also tried two different type Hama Usb-c to HDMI adapters but still not working. It was strange, that the first one worked sometimes (about 1 time out of 10 attempts) but mostly failed so I returned it to the shop and changed to another one. Now it doesn't work at all..

I'm confused what to do now and unfortunately, as I see in the forum, Lenovo Support cannot tell us the solution (maybe there is no solution?! Smiley Sad ).

nsg-nsg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,172
Message 5 of 7

I'm glad and sad at the same time to see that I'm not the only one with these issues.

Anyway, the USB-C to DVI adapter I linked on an earlier post gave me a scare yesterday while on Skype for Business on full screen mode, at some point the monitor went bananas and the laptop was giving a very load humming noise. I unplugged the adapter and everything was OK. Plugged back in, went to full screen again on S4B and it happened again. Unplugged, replugged... as long as I'm not doing full screen on S4B the external monitor is good. I know... weird.

So, I'll be happy to hear others' experiences with trying to use the USB-C port on this laptop for external monitors. There is something seriously wrong on their DP Alt mode implementation. Is simply not working right.

In the meantime, I think the best option for me is to go to a USB 3.0 solution instead since those use their own display drivers. I'll report back if I get any of those to work. I'm waiting on the refund from Amazon on the Anker adapter that I returned so I can then get a USB 3.0 to HDMI or VGA solution. If you are planning to use Linux in your laptop at some point I heard the DisplayLink-based products were the way to go.

According to Lenovo support there would be nothing to "fix" should I send the laptop back for warranty. And the rep could not confirm what adapter if any has been tested with this laptop. Returning the laptop would set you back the restocking fee and shipping.

Bobwa
Paper Tape
Views: 2,079
Message 6 of 7

Hi, I have the Thinkpad USB-C Dock and cannot get any of the display ports to work including the vga port I installed the drivers for the dock and made sure my display drivers were up to date but still nothing. I read somewhere that the 720S-13ARR maybe was not compatible with this dock. Was there something you did that you could share with me to get mine working? Thanks in advance. 

Florent61
What's DOS?
Views: 64
Message 7 of 7

Same problem with a 720S-13ARR at work.

Finally i use this USB3>HDMI adapter with success: Cable Matters USB 3.0 à HDMI Adaptater 4K ( 202048-BLK-N B018YHMMQ0). I had to update windows 10 in 1903, otherwise I did not have any display, but now it's ok.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors