Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ManiacBart
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,445
Message 1 of 9

Ideapad 720S-14IKB Type 81BD 8550u Battery Draining When Turned Off

Aside from the well documented fan noise problem I am also having a problem with the battery.

If I shut the laptop down and come back to it after 24 hours the battery has drained to 65% from 100%.

Is anyone having any the same problem and can anyone help?

Thanks

Matt

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,424
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ideapad 720S-14IKB Type 81BD 8550u Battery Draining When Turned Off

@ManiacBart wrote:

If I shut the laptop down and come back to it after 24 hours the battery has drained to 65% from 100%.

Disable Windows "Fast start" to see if that makes a difference.  It is well hidden in Windows "Settings", so you will need to google to find the instructions.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ManiacBart
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,415
Message 3 of 9

Thanks I tried that yesterday, shut down and turned laptop on today but it is now at 30% down from just over 60% yesterday so unfortunately that hasn't worked

I really appreciate the suggestion though thank you!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,414
Message 4 of 9

Always on USB can also make a difference, but that seems rather extreme.

On my IdeaPads the setting is in Vantage, Hardware Settings, Power.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ManiacBart
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,405
Message 5 of 9

I'll give it a go thanks
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,376
Message 6 of 9

@ManiacBart wrote:

I tried that yesterday, shut down and turned laptop on today but it is now at 30% down from just over 60%

When you say "shut down", what exactly do you mean?

(1) If you are using sleep, it is to be expected that the battery will discharge.

(2) If you are using hibernation, Windows can wake the system in the middle of the night in order to download updates, or install updates previously downloaded, or defragment the disk, or... (you get the idea).  The point about disabling "Fast start" is that "Fast start" is hibernation by another name.

(3) If you are shutting down the system by closing the lid, the laptop is probably sleeping or hibernating.  The same can be true if you are pressing the mechanical POWER button.  So try again, but this time clicking "Start" (lower left corner), then the "Power" icon, and then "Shutdown".

(4) You can alter the action of the lid and the POWER button in the power plan.  There are separate definitions for when on mains power and when on battery power.  Check their current definitions.

ManiacBart
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,358
Message 7 of 9

Firstly thank you for your help!

I'm using start button - Power icon - Shut down.  I always shut down in this way as I am used to desktops and it is no bother for me to wait a minute for boot-up it doesn't matter to me.

With fast boot enabled or disabled it makes no difference the laptop loses between 30-35% of battery power in 24 hours.

I have turned off the always on USB charging in the settings.

Lenovo support are saying it's a software issue after I have run some diagnostics in the lenovo support centre app but I am thinking this is a hardware issue either the battery itself or perhaps the motherboard?  Lenovo support want me to wipe my 7 week old laptop as they say it's a software issue and want me to start again!

As a side note even if I was using hibernation or sleep surely 35% loss in 24 hours is ridiculous surely?

Any help would be appreciated.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,342
Message 8 of 9

@ManiacBart wrote:

Lenovo support want me to wipe my 7 week old laptop as they say it's a software issue and want me to start again!  As a side note even if I was using hibernation or sleep surely 35% loss in 24 hours is ridiculous surely?

If the system hibernates, and does not wake up in the middle of the night to perform scheduled Windows tasks, I would expect the battery to lose perhaps 2-3% of its charge.

Sleep uses more power, since it has to keep the RAM powered.  Losing 20-30% overnight might be reasonable, but I never use sleep so cannot really comment from personal experience.

If you have been using the laptop for seven weeks, it was probably shipped with an older version of Windows 10 (version 1703 or 1709).  Has this problem started recently?  If so, it is probably the 1803 Windows update that has caused the problem, and re-installing the original system might fix it (so Lenovo Support are not being unreasonable, even if their suggestion is inconvenient).  From looking at threads on this web site, the Windows 1803 update seems to be well and truly bug-ridden.

If you have had this problem from the beginning, I am out of ideas, and you may be correct in your view that it is a hardware fault.

ManiacBart
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,264
Message 9 of 9

Thank you all for your help

Since I turned off powering usb devices when the device is off it seems fine!

Thanks again

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors