Re: Ideapad 720S-14IKB fan noise/cycling

How did you find the EC model? I'm trying to find it for the 520s model

DemoKrax
Paper Tape
Views: 2,028
Message 192 of 203

RE arthurprs

I was able to find it, by opening the laptop and looking for the EC. You might be able to look at a disassembly and write down the EC model from a picture or video.

Blundberg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,857
Message 193 of 203

Found a new bios update (Vantage) for my model:

Model: ideapad 720S14-IKB
Serialnr: #########
Productnr: 80XC
Old bios: 4VCN46WWV2.12

New bios: 4VCN48WWV2.14

Mod's Edit: Serial number removed from public view to protect member from its unwanted use.

Machine Type Model  80XC0010MX

Highlighted
LazerCut
Paper Tape
Views: 1,720
Message 194 of 203

Hi guys, I recently got one with an i7-8550u quite cheap secondhand and I've been playing around tweaking it. Obviously the first thing I noticed was the noisy fan. I've scummed through much of this thread and after applying a few fixes I've now managed to get it to be completely quiet until it hits 70 degrees. I haven't tested it out for too long, but it works after both sleep and restart. 

Here's what I did:

1. Updated everything through Lenovo Vantage as well as downloading the BIOS update manually. 

2. Set up throttlestop and undervolted the CPU. I managed to get a stable -135mv on core/cache and -80mv on iGPU and system agent. This didn't solve my fan problem, but it did bump up my cinebench score to 650, as well as reducing overall thermals produced causing it to hit 70 degrees later on. Throttlestop is a bit bad in that you need to setup a task scheduler task for it to start with Windows, I have however a guide posted here on another forum if you want to do so.

3. Set the Control Panel Power Plan options(just search "Edit Power plan" in the start menu to get there) to:

• Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Settings: Both to 18.8W @ 1.80Ghz
  • Processor Power Management: Both to passive

4. [Most important] Notebook Fan Control:

• Download it, and use the config for "Lenovo Yoga 2 13"
  • Edit the config and set your "Critical Temperature" to when you want the fans to kick inUten navn.png

Note: As mentioned by other members we lack a specific profile to the 720s. The Lenovo Yoga 2 13 config seems to keep the fans completely idle until it hits the critical temp and then they start at 100% and gradually turns down as the PC cools down. I find this acceptable as the passive cooling seems to be pretty good meaning you'd only hit 70 degrees during high loads. The PC might hit the crit temp during startup and shutdown but should quiet down quickly.

dqniel
What's DOS?
Views: 1,394
Message 195 of 203

LazerCut-

You are awesome.

I'm going to try out your methods and see how they work for my model. I'm familiar with overclocking desktops but had not realized Throttlestop allowed us to change voltage settings on our 720s. 

I look forward to undervolting, testing stability, and then setting up a fan speed that isn't so unbearable. 

LazerCut
Paper Tape
Views: 1,349
Message 196 of 203

Glad I could help Smiley Happy 

I had to decrease my core/cache undervolt to  -120mv as I was having some bluescreens in some games even if I ran Prime95 stable for half an hour. It still means I'm able to keep a consistent 4-core turbo boost of almost 3Ghz tho. I don't think undervolting System Agent does anything btw, according to some sources it might cause instability due to faulty sensor readings.

Untitled.png

If you wanna squeeze some more power out of your system you could look into overclocking the dGPU in MSI afterburner as well, I haven't had too much time with it, but it does seem like theres' some headrooom in overclocking the GPU, especially on the memory clock part. I'm going to test out stability at some point when I find some time. 

Also remember that its the Notebook FanControl fix that actually alters the fan profile. Hope you're able to get the fan under control mate Smiley Happy

Tahersweden
What's DOS?
Views: 896
Message 197 of 203

I have the same issues with my Lenovo 720s 8th i7. So annoying. I hope it will be fixed soon enough.

DISOPPOINTED!

willthack
What's DOS?
Views: 846
Message 198 of 203

I spent some time with this!

What worked for me is the software Notebook Fan Control like above helped alot.

I also stripped the laptop only around 12 screws and your in! I couldnt belive the amount of thermal paste! it was all over the chip and leaking onto the board both CPU and Graphics!  so I cleaned it all off with alchol wipes and put a pea size on both and started to put it back together. 

Then i noticed that the vents on the base of the laptop its pretty much blocked up with really tight hairy mesh and a plastic bee hive like mesh. so i decided to blow through it and it actually sounded like a high pitched noise through the mesh! so I risked it and took the hairy mesh off but left the plastic bee hive mesh above both fans.

Now my cpu runs at 38 degrees instead of 45 and is dead silent!!! i mean nothing!!! however there is still a small bug that when it gets to 50 degrees, the fans go full speed but the difference is not high pitched whining and just loudish air flow (this is in a silent room) and its not annyoing anymore. 

Hope that helps!

billythekid90
Paper Tape
Views: 791
Message 199 of 203

I currently have the following notebook: Lenovo Ideapad 720S-15IKB.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but the fans can be controlled with the program NoteBook FanControl and the "Lenovo Ideapad 710S" profile. I only run one fan at 3.3% (Real 8-10%). The device always stays cool and very quiet. The fans can also be turned off completely.

I also set the core, GPU and cache voltages to -0.150,4 V with ThrottleStop and made other smaller settings. Thus it runs even cooler and more economically.

After a long search finally a device with enough power for me and fan control. Maybe it is also possible for the 14 inch.

Ergydion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 629
Message 200 of 203

Hey, I also tried out the tweak with Notebook Fan Control.
Yes, the Notebook stays quiet now but when the fan is supposed to run at full speed it only runs at 10% for me.  

So I am now scared that I will damage my Laptop when it is not cooling properly. 
You can try it out by setting the critical temperature to a low 35 degrees Celsius and just listen whether the fans actually run at full speed. For me it unfortunately doesnt really work. Maybe there is another EC built in our Laptops?  

Anyways, I would like to hear of your experiences!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors