Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mortenlohne
Paper Tape
Views: 1,897
Message 31 of 170

Re: Ideapad 720S-14IKB fan noise/cycling

I have email notifications enabled for this thread, and check every reply hoping for a solution. It's a great laptop, but I couldn't recommend it to anyone until they fix this problem. The laptop is embarassing to use in quiet rooms with other people present.

bu22
Punch Card
Views: 1,849
Message 32 of 170

It would as well help if Lenovo could help us with the fan's "write" EC registers... NBFC is a nice tool but it's not easy to setup a new laptop especially with 2 fans.

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,837
Message 33 of 170

So after dismantling the heatsink and fan, the whistle seems to come from the metal fan blades moving at faster speeds.   Presumably this could be fixed by switching the metal blades for plastic ones.  That said, the fans should never be running as fast as they are in the first place which is part of the problem.  I ordered a replacement fan and heatsink (about $40 on ebay) so that I could work freely on my original one without worrying about my laptop being incapacitated.  The main issue is finding a fan that 'fits' on the motor.  The old ASUS spindle was too thick.  Also, for those looking to get slightly better temps as and interim workaround. I'd suggest 2 things:

1.  Make a custom power profile where you have the plugged-in settings on normal, but the battery setting on 98% processor state. (therefore you get the silence when you're doing light tasks on battery, but aren't getting throttled when on AC power--gaming, cpu intensive apps, etc).

2.  Do at your own risk* --repaste the cpu and gpu with artic silver thermal compund (it's like $5 a tube).  This requires unscrewing the heatsink, cleaning the cpu, gpu, and heat contacts with 91-99% alcohol and then repasting.  Search for a YouTube video if it's your first time--most laptops have the same layout, so any tutorial should work.  You can lose anywhere between 5-10 Celsius depending on how well the manufacturer pasted (which normally isn't that great).  It won't help with heavy load noise, but it should be a slight improvement with low and moderately demanding tasks.

bearman3784
What's DOS?
Views: 1,718
Message 34 of 170

Exact same noisy fan problem with my 8th gen i5 configured 520s, pretty embarassing!

Tristan123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,537
Message 35 of 170

Hi Guys i have the same issue here. Today my 720S-15IKB 81AC001AGE arrived and after installing everything i recognized this weird fan cycling. Im only surfing or doing even nothing and the fans turning on, and this not very silent.  So Guys is there no statment from Lenovo that they will fix it so far, or that they know about it? For me, I cant live with that. I bought an Notebook for 1500€ and than this. If it isnt fixed until tomorow or an solution in prospect, i will send it back and buy me an other Notebook that is not from Lenovo. This is rerally bad Customer Support if they dont fix it, and the Problem is known since december last year. Smiley Sad

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,519
Message 36 of 170

There was a March BIOS update and I can detect no significant improvement.  It's nuts.  The BIOS should be an easy 30 second fix.  For the record, I also think that they should be offering free fan replacements.  I orded the second heatsink w/ fans (pulled from a new machine) and it make the same whistling noise.  The customer service saying to throttle your CPU and use the silent mode option (which, by the way, doesn't even exist in the lastest BIOS) is downright insulting.  Definitely not buying from Lenovo again if this isn't resolved within the month--just gonna bite the bullet and deal with ASUS coil whine--it wasn't nearly as distracting as this.

Tristan123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,485
Message 37 of 170

Where can I find the newest Bios Update? Maybe it helps with my Notebook but i dont think so. 

I tested my notebook today with some 3D Modeling in Alias, should not big of a deal for the Notebook (only modeling, no rendering or such). Beside i had some Tabs open and Music playing. Workload was for CPU Max 20%, RAM about 45% and GPU peaks sometimes at 50%. When I was modeling the fans run the whole time, when I was browsing the cycle started, some minutes without fan noise and then they turn on and so on. So this Notebook is useless for me, i cant work like that. I will send it back and buy me a Gaming Notebook from Dell I guess. They look like  but I guess I can work with them quietly.

Mod's Edit: Please keep in mind that these forums are accessed by people of all ages. Profanity, implied profanity or attempted profanity by circumventing the profanity filter is prohibited by the Community Guidelines and have been removed.

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,466
Message 38 of 170

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/700-series/720s-14ikb-type-81bd/81b...

Under drivers in BIOS.  Workarounds for the time being is this:

go under "processor power management" in advanced power settings (no reg edit needed) and set it to 98%.  That will cap the CPU at 1.8 Ghz and there will be virtually no fan noise whatsoever.  With your CPU load, you don't need the full boost on all cores anyway.  I made a custom plan (using the balanced preset) and set it to 98% on battery and 100% on AC, therefore I get no noise when I'm just doing random browsing, videos, and productivity stuff on battery.  When I plug in and need to full power, it's usually a GPU intensive app like a game or whatever and I had headphones on.  Lenovo NEEDS to fix this or they'll lose a ton of customers  (I went beyond the return period because I thought they would've provided a real fix by now).

That said, for the time being, just cap the CPU at 98% and the laptop will be completely silent for all non intensive tasks.

Tristan123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,447
Message 39 of 170

Hey thanks for the Reply.

I tried it with the -2% CPU Max State trick but it seem that it doesent work for me, dont know why.

The Fans are still cycling. Smiley Sad

Then I tried -5% and still same Problem. This is so annoying, just losing time because of this.

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,438
Message 40 of 170

check where the cpu clock is at after you knock max processor state to 98%.  If the change is applied, it shouldn't be higher than 1.8 ghz.  Def try updating the BIOS first though.Screenshot (9).png

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors