Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peteok26
Punch Card
Views: 1,410
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad 720s 14" / mx150 questions, please help

Hello

- Is the turbo boost on the machine originally enabled or disabled? I saw another post with turbo boost issues, but wondering whether users could check or know whether theirs had it enabled or disabled?

- Some people have reported fans pulsing now and again. Any update from lenovo on this?

Thanks all

Guru
Views: 1,362
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad 720s 14" / mx150 questions, please help

Turbo Boost is never on by default in the settings. However, try going to the battery icon in the tray, right click it, and go to power options. Click change plan settings (For the one your using), then go to change advanced power settings. Go to Processor Power Management - System Cooling Policy. From there, you can change it from "Active" to "Passive". This should make your fans work less when not needed.

Highlighted
Peteok26
Punch Card
Views: 1,337
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

But wouldn't that mean that for every machine the clocks would not be able to exceed 1.6 ghz (for the i5) or 1.8 ghz (for the i7)? Or am I not understanding it correctly? Could anyone please explain?

To me, that difference of boosting or not boosting to 3.4 ghz (i5) or 4.0 ghz (i7) is significant, but I do not notice many posts about it on these forums for this machine, which makes me think that my understanding is not correct.

Peteok26
Punch Card
Views: 1,282
Message 4 of 6

Anyone have any further input on my posts above please?

Thanks all

DallefarDon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,105
Message 5 of 6

Yeah, i want to know the same. Definately a deal breaker Lenovo. Why make it look like a fast CPU when you cap it? 

calvol
Punch Card
Views: 190
Message 6 of 6

I don't think TB implementation for a well-balanced performance/power system has ever been properly worked out by Intel and the PC OEMs. .. every PC I've had since the 3rd Gen I5 has had issues with pulsing fans when TB kicks in.  I think the problem likes in the TB algorithm in determining the thermal index of the chip and regulating the fan.  So workarounds are in order, if you desire longer battery life, turn off TB (set max CPU to 98%), and vv.  Really can't fault Lenovo or any other OEM here, it's Intel's attempt to improve performance as we reach performance limits of current chip designs.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors