Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonaskvale77
What's DOS?
Views: 1,194
Message 1 of 1

Ideapad 720s 15IKB power throttle fix?

Hello, I've had the Lenovo Ideapad 720s 15IKB with an i5 7300hq and GTX 1050 TI Max-Q design for about a month now, and occasionally use it for gaming. The only game I really play is GTA V, and it runs well on high settings at 60FPS for about 5-10 minutes, and then the CPU power throttles and the game drops FPS down to around 45. I've measured this with ThrottleStop. Temperatures are very manageable according to MSI afterburner and Open Hardware Monitor, far away from thermal throttle (73C/165F on avg). It took me a while and some research to figure out that the CPU was power throttling. Is there anyway to fix this? As far as I can tell, the CPU boosts just fine to around 3.1 (I believe that's the max boost?) and then when it throttles after a couple minutes of gaming, it drops down to around 2.5 or less, and this kills the framerate. This pretty close to being a deal breaker for me (I know this laptop was not made for gaming necessarily, but considering the hardware it has, it should be more than capable). I'm just wondering if there is any fix to keep the laptop from throttling, or at least throttling as much as it does. I am ok with repasting the CPU and GPU if it means higher temps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors