Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akramf11
Not applicable
Views: 1,954
Message 1 of 28

Ideapad-720s BSOD video scheduler internal error

Hi community

I have bought an ideapad720s AMD RYZEN 5 couple of weeks ago. 

It was working well until I started to notice a screen freeze when playing any video, sometimes screen turns black and the whole device freezes for a while.  then an alert that says (windows has been blocked to access the graphics card)
Then I started to get a blue screen of death with the following error VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR,  followed by a reboot.

I tried everything proposed online, I have contacted Microsoft two times, they said they have fixed it, and both times they were wrong. 
I contacted Lenovo support, They shipped the device to their repair center, and after 5 days, I received it with a fresh windows install (WITHOUT EVEN TELLING ME!!!)  and closed the support ticket,, after 10 minutes of the first use I got the same error again, and I still get it every time I play a video... 
Did anyone experience something similar? does anyone have an idea what the problem can be? 

it's obviously a compatibility problem between Windows 10 and AMD drivers, but no solution found on their websites.. 

JanGab_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 1,925
Message 2 of 28

Re: Ideapad-720s BSOD video scheduler internal error

Hi akramf11,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

May I know what are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far including the ones that was provided by Microsoft rep. Did you notice if this issue only happens when the laptop needs an intensive graphics? Can you try to monitor if the GPU throttle when you use the laptop for a long period of time using GPU-Z software. 

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

akramf11
Not applicable
Views: 1,913
Message 3 of 28

Hi JanGab,  and thank you for your reply. 

troubleshooting steps by me and Microsoft included the following: 
-check for bad or corrupted sectors  using tools like sfc /scannow  (none of the time an error was reported)

-rollback or update the GPU driver 

-update windows, check for drivers updates in particular. 

-changing the setting of my AMD setting, using their official tool. 

No, the problem doesn't happen when the laptop requires intensive graphics,  I performed graphics stress test multiple time with no problem. the problem occurs when playing any video on youtube, Netflix, or even it happened a couple playing a video on LinkedIn feed! 

now I have installed GPU-Z software for monitoring, is there something, in particular, i should be looking for? 

MarioIII_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 1,908
Message 4 of 28

To monitor the GPU, you have to go to the "Sensor" tab of the GPU-Z. And also, have you also tried downloading the GPU driver directly from AMD? 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

akramf11
Not applicable
Views: 1,906
Message 5 of 28

Hi Mario, 
Yes, I'm monitoring the sensor tab, a screenshot is attached, i couldn't attach the log file
5 erros msgs (Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware) occurred after I started the mentoring.

after a long search on the AMD site, it seems that the Graphics Chipset: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics
 has no direct support from AMD this no drivers on their official site. the support for this model has to be provided by the manufacturer, Acer for their swift line, or LENOVO in my case. 

MarioIII_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 1,895
Message 6 of 28

I see. You've mentioned that this usually occurs when playing any video on youtube, Netflix, or even playing a video on LinkedIn feed. Were you using a browser on these activities? If you are, which browser? If you're using chrome, try to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome:

1. Click the Menu button in Chrome and choose Settings.
2. Scroll down and click on "Show advanced settings"
3. Navigate to System section and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available".
4. Restart Chrome to apply changes.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

akramf11
Not applicable
Views: 1,893
Message 7 of 28

I have done so, but the problem occurs on different browsers, edge, chrome, firefox. 
on edge for example, sometimes I get a BSOD other times I get the error (application has been blocked from accessing Graphics card) 
and then the video plays with audio only, no visuals, just a dark screen.

anyway, I guess changing the settings of a browser is not a complete solution for the problem Smiley Sad 

bartszc123890
Not applicable
Views: 1,868
Message 8 of 28

Hi,
I also have 720s-13ARR with Vega 8 GPU. I had the same problem one week ago- bluescreens "video scheduler internal error".
Try that:
- download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
- launch windows in safe mode
- start DDU and uninstall all AMD drivers
- download fresh GPU drivers from lenovo tech support page for 720s-13ARR
- and UPDATE THE BIOS!! 
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/700-series/720s-13arr/downloads
Try both versions, 1709 and 1703. One of them shoud work properly.
I made this and I haven't got any bluescreen since 10 days.

I hope it will work Smiley Wink

bates39
Not applicable
Views: 1,698
Message 9 of 28

Hi, I also have had the same video scheduler internal error issue with my 720s-13ARR.

I tried cleaning up the drivers and installing new ones, but I am still getting the same BSOD. Has anyone found anything else to be helpful?

akramf11
Not applicable
Views: 1,679
Message 10 of 28

Thanks mate! 

I tried your solution worked for a while with no problem, but I got the same error again yesterday. 

I will try the same steps again maybe and see how it goes. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors