Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eelmok
Paper Tape
Views: 3,283
Message 1 of 12

Ideapad 720s Battery life is incredibly short

Hi. My Lenovo 720s 13" has a battery life of about 3 hours but the website for the product mentions it having up to 9 hours of battery life. On battery saver settings and 87%, I still have 3.5 hours left on the IdeaPad. Does anyone know how to extend battery life to the 9 hours stated previously or where I can look to fix this issue? Thank you.

Purphoros
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,786
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ideapad 720s Battery life is incredibly short

You probably won't ever be able to get close to the claimed 9 hour battery life.  Those results are usually obtained in a lab setting with a just-off-the-line battery (usually hold a touch more power than what they are designed to) and with as many features disabled as possible.

If you need battery life I would recommend lowering the brightness as low as possible while you can still see what you are working on, setting the power mode to balanced, activating the battery saver option and pushing the slider all the way to the left.  Turning off the backlit keyboard and if you have a 4k display lowering it to 1080p.  A combination of some of these should improve battery life by a bit.  You might be able to push it to 5 hours with whatever you are doing all of these.

What are you doing with the laptop that drains the battery? Video playback or just normal internet browsing/document editing?

Eelmok
Paper Tape
Views: 2,776
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for your response. I've been using the Ideapad at lower brightness setting and with Battery Saver enabled at all times. Most of the battery draining comes from using my Chrome browser and certain apps (mostly games) so I try to limit my use on those programs as much as possible. 

Purphoros
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,762
Message 4 of 12

The games are killing your battery.  Games are a demanding process for your computer to run when you play games I would try and plug your laptop in to preserve your battery for when you need it.

aagopian
What's DOS?
Views: 2,745
Message 5 of 12

I am having the same issue myself. Just Light browsing (1-2 Hours) itself drains my battery within a day or two. I am trying multiple battery  and display options. Also even at full shut off the battery continues to drain.

Purphoros
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,739
Message 6 of 12

Day or two?  That is some solid battery life.  If you mean an hour or two make sure to shut down everything unecessary in the background and try some of the tips I suggested and what you can find online.  If for whatever reason you cannot improve your battery life then contact support directly, you might have a bad battery.

Batteries natrually drain over time so if you charged one 12 hours ago it would discharge say 5-10% when you check it again.  This is a normal process due to how ions will move from high concentration to low concentration within the battery (chemistry is wierd).

On a side note if you need to leave a battery for a long period of time to prevent damage you should discharge it to 40%.  Regularly charging and then discharging that battery over an even longer period of time can also extend its life if you need to store it for a long period.

aagopian
What's DOS?
Views: 2,735
Message 7 of 12

Thank you. Just to clarify the browsing is 1 -2 hours per day at most. The laptop is a month old so I will contact support if I can't improve it based on your suggestions.

Purphoros
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,732
Message 8 of 12

Glad to be able to help.

aa23
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,734
Message 9 of 12

did anyone find a solution, i got the same probelm, 3.5 hours battery life. All i do is light browsing and video streaming on chrome.

aa23
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,673
Message 10 of 12

i found a little solution, i get 5 hours battery life of straight video streaming, so not that bad i guess.

I lowered the display resolution to 1920 x 1080 from 3840 x 2160. I think that just sort of turns off the UHD display and makes it 1080p not sure though, I honestly cant really tell the difference on my 13 inch laptop they both seem clear enough to me. Also I disabled the always charging usb thing, you go in lenovo vantage-hardware settings-power.

If anyone else knows how to get more battery life please let me know. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors