Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jcf-pt
Paper Tape
Views: 7,813
Message 1 of 20

Ideapad 720s unbearable fan noise

I got a couple of weeks ago an Ideapad 720s model  720S-14IKB | i7-8550U

Quoting a friend from other forums: "Fan control on this laptop sucks. The fans are whiny, and the fan control algorithm doesn't have much (if any) hysteresis, so the fans are constantly changing speed if you have any kind of load."

It's annoying enough to have colleagues in meetings making jokes about the laptop.

I have :

- Last version of the BIOS

- I already tried the NotebookFanControl with the Yoga profile to no success.

Any ideas ?

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,437
Message 2 of 20

Re: Ideapad 720s unbearable fan noise

Yeah, I've noticed it (along with the whine).  It's a shame because it's literally the only black mark on an otherwise fantastic laptop.  A BIOS update to fix the cycling would be great, but the whine is pretty obnoxious.  I did try ramping up the processor with the back off and fan exposed and don't remember hearing the whine.  I'll experiment with it a bit more and see what I find.

jcf-pt
Paper Tape
Views: 7,424
Message 3 of 20

Thx for trying. Let me know if you find a solution. I've trying to disable a few services but it doesn't help.

Strange enough, if you play a game with the Mx150 on, it seems that we get a lower fan rotation than with a browser.

Puzzled is how I feel right now.

CM712
Paper Tape
Views: 7,315
Message 4 of 20

Just adding my voice.  Brand new Ideapad 720S 8th gen i7 with cycling hi pitch fan noise.  Lenovo, what were you thinking?

My office issued X1 Carbon never does this.  I would not have bought this computer - had I known.

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,310
Message 5 of 20

I actually opened it up to repaste.  Got lower temps, but still have the obnoxious noise/cycling if I don't but it on balanced and thn further restrict the processor to 98%.  I ran the fans on max via intel xtu to see if it was just one or the other, but they both appear to make the noise, though it seems not a bad with the back panel removed from the chassis.  I stopped each of the fans seperately (when I was testing for the noise) and thermals didn't change significantly.  The fans makes virtually no noise at the non-boosted limit.  Long story short, it's definitely the fan motors reving up.

Two solutions:

-Lenovo updates the bios or adds fan control since there is plenty of thermal headroom (never broken 70 on the M150 since repasting (even with an OC) and the CPU is cool as well--much cooler than the XPS  

-Lenovo offers a recall/warranty return w/ free fan replacements as there's no reason they should be making this whine.

If it weren't for the fans, I could honestly recommend this as one of the best price/performance ultrabooks and would easily steer anyone about to waste an extra 1k on a Mac or Razer to this, so it's a shame to see this one easily remedied flaw dragging it back.

CM712
Paper Tape
Views: 7,295
Message 6 of 20

Certianly agree with your last comment.  I have been a big X1 Carbon fan in a large enterprise environment, but I just steered two "standalone" friends away from Lenovo as a result of the noisy/ocillating the fan issues.

whyquery
What's DOS?
Views: 7,232
Message 7 of 20

Agreed. Lenovo, your addressing of this issue would be much appreciated. You've virtually convined me not to buy another Windows PC.

Auke
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,215
Message 8 of 20

Same problem here.. :-( Really annoying and should be fixed, cmon Lenovo!!!

arthurprs
Paper Tape
Views: 5,001
Message 9 of 20

I'm having the exact same issue but on a 520s-14. Apparently the fan kicks in at high speed as soon as the processor hits 40C (which is kinda low).

bu22
Punch Card
Views: 4,986
Message 10 of 20

Same problem here (720S-13IKB). No NotebookFanControl Config works.

(Previous laptop: Yoga720 7th gen Intel i7) -> Quite mode + NBFC helps)

(Other model to test instead of 720S: Yoga720 8th gen -> no quite mode, no NBFC works -> horrible fan, even worse than 720S and cinebench scores pretty low).

They could at least help out with the registers from the embedded controller to steer the fan.

Top Kudoed Authors