Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BXF
Paper Tape
Views: 63
Message 1 of 1

Ideapad Energy Management and Function Keys under Windows 10

What's with Lenovo?

I have a G510, previously running Win7 Pro x64, now Win10 Pro x64 ver. 1903.

On Win7, Energy Management had a dashboard, which included control of battery charge level (to preserve battery life). This is gone on Win10. Also, some function keys (e.g. Airplane Mode) stopped working on Win10.

For Win10, Lenovo downloads shows this:

Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) 1.5.0.14-20150824. This is a 1.4MB download, and I have not been able to figure out what it does, as I don't see any references to it after it's installed. This is also shown for Windows 7.

Lenovo also has this: Lenovo ACPI Energy Management 15.11.28.190 which is also a small file, and it shows up in Device Manager as Lenovo ACPI Virtual Power Controller after installation. I also somehow found a more recent version (15.11.28.192), and it is what I am using: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/wwe00cae07jw.exe

Lenovo's latest "solution" is to install Vantage. This, together with it's pre-requisites/co-requisites (System Interface Foundation, and possibly other crap) is a monstrous package, resulting in as many as ten processes running on your machine (I didn't count, so it could be even more some times)! This is crazy. And while Vantage gives you the ability to set the battery to Conservation Mode, it provides no other useful function for my purposes, AND some of the function keys still do not work. For this, we need utility.exe to be running - see details below.

In Win7, hitting the Airplane Mode PFKey appears to control the hardware, turning the bluetooth (and wifi??? I cannot verify this) adapters completely off. The Win8 version of utility.exe seems to work the same as using Airplane Mode in Windows Action Center, where it turns off WiFi and Bluetooth, as can be seen in the relevant PC Settings sections (Settings > Devices > Bluetooth and Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi).

So the way I set my system is as follows: I installed the Win7 version of Energy Management, and saved utility.exe somewhere, and then uninstall. Then I installed the 8.1 version, I renamed utility.exe to something else, and then moved the Win7 version to the appropriate folder. The net result of this is that I have a working dashboard with which I can control battery charge level, as well as all working Function Keys, and quick access to disabling/enabling bluetooth and/or wifi by using the Airplane Mode PFKey. Note that it does not affect an external wifi adapter if you happen to have one.

- - - - - - - - - - -

With Windows Airplane Mode OFF, the Win7 version of utility.exe can control bluetooth, and also the internal network adapter, but not an external one, if that's what you have. With Windows Airplane Mode ON, it has no practical effect, though it does disable the Broadcom Bluetooth device in Device Manager. When this is done, the Bluetooth button in Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices disappears. I'd say that the Win7 version of utility.exe would be a faster way of turning bluetooth OFF/ON, instead of having to go through the Windows Settings screens.

The Lenovo Energy Management for Windows 7 (32 bit, 64 bit) 7.0.3.4 is here: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/cagt26ww.exe
The Lenovo Power Management for Windows 8.1 8.0.2.14 em8180214 can be downloaded here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds037135

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors