Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
blaze99960
What's DOS?
Views: 938
Message 1 of 8

Ideapad FLEX-14IWL BIOS Update v2.03 Problems: shutdown instead of sleep, audio driver problems

Hello all, thought I'd share my recent experience in the hope that some programmer sees it and does something about it, and that others who run into this issue may avoid the headache I've gone through.

Several days ago I updated my BIOS on my Flex14-IWL machine. On the same day, I also installed several Windows and other drivers updates. The next day, I noticed two problems:

1) when the machine is put to sleep, it goes to sleep successfully (the light on the side is fading in and out, which signifies sleep), but then upon attempting to resume, the machine does a cold boot (closing all open programs, losing progress on files, etc)

2) every time the machine is started, it fails to recognize the speaker/audio driver and needs it reinstalled.

To address this issue, I contacted Lenovo support. Together and later on my own, we went through several steps:

1) Install additional Windows and driver updates. Ensure that everything is completely up to date (issue persisted).

2) Uninstall all Windows updates that had been installed in the day where the issue began (issue persisted).

3) Factory reset (issue persisted).

4) Install all Windows and driver updates, again (issue persisted).

Note that at this point, there was nothing further Lenovo support could offer me. They consider a factory reset the last technical support they can offer over the phone and thus agreed to send me shipping materials so I can ship them my machine and they can repair it on-site (alternatively I could've dropped it off at a Best Buy).

Of course, none of the fixes they had tried actually attempted downgrading the BIOS. I figured I'd give it a try since I was already going to ship my machine off for 9 business days, what did I have to lose?

I found this post with information on how to do so (Lenovo unhelpfully only includes the latest BIOS version on their website)

I'm including the important text of the post below, modified with my experience & additional details:

-----

It should be possible to return to the BIOS that you were using previously. All published versions of the BIOS can be downloaded from this web site. The catch is that you cannot access them directly from a web page -- only the most-recent BIOS can be accessed from a web page.

So this is what you do: go to the Support page for your laptop and display the selection that has the BIOS. Expand the entry to display the details. There should be a "Download" button. Don't click it!

Instead, right-click the download button and copy the web address. Then paste it into a new browser tab. Now edit the web address and change the BIOS version number in the name of the exe file to the one that you want. For example, for my FLEX-14IWL this would be:

Current version shown on the website: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ahcn26ww.exe

What I changed it to: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ahcn25ww.exe

The version number to change is the "26" in the exe name. Specifically, you probably want to decrease it by one, to "25". Obviously this may or may not be the correct web address for your BIOS, depending on what your machine/current BIOS is.

Obviously, you also might want to verify that this is the correct BIOS version before going and installing it. In order to do so, follow the same process for the readme file: right-click on the download button for the readme file and copy the web address. Then paste it into a new browser tab and edit it to change the BIOS version number to the one you want. For instance:

The original: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ahcn26ww.txt

What I changed it to: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ahcn25ww.txt

When you do that for both the readmes, you can indeed verify that this BIOS version is the immediately previous version and is still for the right maching (in my case FLEX 14IWL).

With this assurance in mind, we can actually do the downgrade. Download the previous BIOS version exe file. Then, in order to install the older BIOS version, you have to make sure BIOS downgrading is enabled in the BIOS menu. Shut down the machine, start it and press and/or hold F1 and/or F2 to get to the BIOS menu. Find the BIOS downgrade option and ensure that it's enabled, then save and exit. By default, the BIOS prevents an older version replacing a newer version.

Once this is done, install the new (old) BIOS version.

-----

So I followed these steps as above, and what do you know? The issue went away. My machine now sleeps perfectly fine, and doesn't "forget" the audio driver/speaker every time I put it to sleep (or rather, every time it shuts itself down).

I hope this will help somebody out there who's running into the same issue, and/or the programmers who could actually prevent this problem.

edp111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 758
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ideapad FLEX-14IWL BIOS Update v2.03 Problems: shutdown instead of sleep, audio driver problems

I'm having this exact same problem with my brand new IdeaPad Flex-14IWL.  I've tried everything except downgrading the BIOS.  I'm looking forward to trying this tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

dragonbits
Paper Tape
Views: 677
Message 3 of 8

Re: Ideapad FLEX-14IWL BIOS Update v2.03 Problems: shutdown instead of sleep, audio driver problems

I have the 14IWL and had the exact same problem. Very frustrating as I couldn't figure out why such a fast laptop was taking so long to come out of sleep. It took me a while to notice it was doing a complete restart.

As I normally do, I had run all windows and lenovo updates as soon as I got the laptop home from the store. 

Returning the bios from 26 to 25 seems to have cleared up the sleep/restart issue. I'll update if I start to have problems again.

That said, I cannot imagine mere mortals being able to find this solution and do the bios downgrade. I do hope lenovo is listening. It's a nice little laptop but taking over a minute to "come out of sleep" to get back working is unacceptable. ;-)

edp111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 672
Message 4 of 8

Update!!!

So I started to go through the steps of the original post above. Went into the BIOS and changed the setting to allow the downgrade of the BIOS.  I hit F10 to save my BIOS settings and the machine started to reboot . I was totally expecting to now install the lower version of the BIOS but much to my surprise, I noticed the sound driver was working again. 

Ok, so I thought, well the sound driver problem had been unpredictable so let me just shut the lid and put the machine to sleep just to check before doing the downgrade. Well, miracle upon miracles!!  When I opened the lid the machine came right up super fast like a brand new laptop should!!

So was this temporary I wondered. Nope, it's been a week and the laptop is awesome!

My advice, start with just changing that BIOS setting and save the change. You might not even have to downgrade like I didn't!  Good luck!

p.s. I did notice the FLEX-14IWL has not been tested yet with Window 10 update 1903!  I suspect it's a combined problem on both ends. Come on Microsoft and Lenovo, get it together!!

bgk1758
Paper Tape
Views: 646
Message 5 of 8

Thank you! It also worked for me!

after hours of support saying they fixed it NOT!

Now its back to being fast at waking up. 3 weeks old and I was ready to return!

dragonbits
Paper Tape
Views: 619
Message 6 of 8

Did you do the BIOS downgrade or just change the BIOS setting and reboot? 

I'm just asking so it is clear to those who come back to read this thread in the future. 

Also, I did the downgrade, so I'm trying to figure out if it's safe to redo the BIOS upgrade.

bgk1758
Paper Tape
Views: 615
Message 7 of 8

I changed the BIOS setting and reboot. I did not downgrade the BIOS. 

Computer is back to lightning fast!

dragonbits
Paper Tape
Views: 610
Message 8 of 8

Thx. Easier than downgrade. Very odd that it works. I'm going to hold off on upgrading for a bit though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors