Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbjan
Paper Tape
Views: 560
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad Flex4 issues

I bought an Ideapad Flex4 May, 2017.  I did not expect perfection, it was a very good price - just bought it to run internet for basic searches, email, and to access and use Excel and Word (no gaming, high end usage).  However, it has progressively declined to be almost unusable.  When I called support they determined it was a software issue (thus not under warranty) and I didn't realize it would cost me almost half what I paid to get software support.  So I declined.  Any ideas welcomed.  Running windows 10.  I run disk cleanup, defrag, keep up with upgrades as necessary.  Run McAfee.  Tried unsuccessfully yesterday to delete my browsing history in Edge, today that finally worked (I think).  My internet works fine in all other usage at home (Ipad, 2nd computer, TV apps).

Multiple Issues: Computer continuously locks up in both internet browser mode as well as MSoffice products (Word and Excel).  I have tried both Edge and Chrome browsers.  Especially Yahoo mail and Excel - I continuously get the "XXX is not responding" error.   When this is happening the computer is churning, churning audibly doing something but Task Manager doesn't show any open programs running other than what I am trying to do.  Examples just today:  computer would not come back "awake" after a couple of hours, totally blank screen, had to hard reboot.  Then yahoo mail essentially would not work in either Edge or Chrome - typing shows a character about every 7-8 seconds, and typing too far ahead brings up the infamous "not responding" message. Finally I get a message typed and Send won't work for 10 minutes.  I tried using the Windows 10 mail app, but that is even worse.  My yahoo mail works fine on Ipad and husband's computer.

Just trying to get on this chatroom, I had to re-login twice just to be able to bring up a new topic (just locked up trying to start a new topic).  Every day is a new adventure, and total waste of time. 

It seems to work for awhile, then if I close the lid, and come back in half an hour - Boom - often total problems, takes quite awhile just to close down the two things I have running to get the thing to shut down.   About 60-70% of the time rebooting will help, but sometimes not.  I've tried shutting down every time, but sometimes it takes forever to start up, other times starts up right away.  It working right now, so I am typing fast to complete!

Thanks for any ideas, praying this will post!

shenika
What's DOS?
Views: 454
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad Flex4 issues

Hey,

I read your issues and the are very similar to my experiences with my ideapad flex4.  It's so frustrating because as you said - I'm not trying to do anything big with this computer.  It freezes on me and I can't hardly ever use the internet.  Today I logged on and google chrome looked like someone shot the screen with a shotgun.  The worst of all of this is that I bought this as my upgrade - I have another laptop from 2012 with windows vista.  I've resorted to using that on a daily basis and I only use my flex 4 for special occassions, ha.  I've had this machine 60 days, worse purchase ever - maybe used it 6 times.

rbjan
Paper Tape
Views: 447
Message 3 of 5

As an update, I was finally able to clear out my cache, history, temporary files etc.  It took 3 days of trying (doing the same thing over and over, normal cleanup). Magically, I was about to go in to Best Buy last week and determine my options when I turned it on, and somehow overnight the history had finally cleared!  I am now clearing out the history on Google Chrome  almost daily, which is a pain because sometimes I would like to look back in my history, and I hate having to log back into things I had open.  

But the computer has been running like a charm, except when it is downloading updates.  They can take forever, tie up using the computer (unworkable again when it is doing its update thing).  I  have to close down and let it update which goes at a snails pace.  I had to reboot and shut down immediately when it hung up while updating a few days ago (got to about 50% and then just shut itself down without finishing the updates).

So it is back to being very usable for me, with these workarounds which I think are rediculous.  Hope this helps.

Edii
What's DOS?
Views: 413
Message 4 of 5

I'm having all of those issues and a few more.  Went back to BB and they said the hard drive was too full.  Bought a remote hard drive, they wiped the laptop clean and the same problems are present.  Also, the camera decided to stop working and couldn't be found.  Had to be shipped to a repair center and was gone for 3 weeks.  Camera was working for a couple times then disappeared for a week and now is back.  I've had this laptop as long as you've had yours.  Worst laptop since my IBM ThinkPad!  Talk about irony.

rbjan
Paper Tape
Views: 397
Message 5 of 5

I don't have very much on my hard drive, just some Word and Excel files.  So can't believe that could be my issue.  No videos, etc, I haven't even moved my pictures because I am afraid to,  Sounds like this is just a bad creature of technology.

one other thing that has seemed to help my user ability - I shut down if I am going to be away from the computer for longer than a few hours.  Not something one should have to do, but putting this thing to sleep for longer than a few hours it comes back and just churns and churns and churns.... Nothing shows running under Task Manager, but it is unusable again.  Restarting doesn't seem to do much, it requires the full shutdown and start up.

I am am hoping to get a couple of "hard to deal with" years out of it, before purchasing again. But I am diligently backing up everything I do, since who knows what it will do next.

good luck, I will try and continue to share any other helpful insights.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors