Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tharjr
Paper Tape
Views: 6,370
Message 1 of 13

Ideapad S145 and Kingston M.2 A400 120gb SSD

Hello,

I just bought a Kingston M.2 A400 120gb SSD to use on my Lenovo laptop. However, the laptop does not recognize the SSD. I cannot find the SDD on BIOS, on Windows 10 Disk Management, during Windows 10 installation through a bootable USB flash drive and through Kingston SSD Manager software.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 6,344
Message 2 of 13

Betreff: Ideapad S145 and Kingston M.2 A400 120gb SSD

If you properly built it in and it doesn't detect the SSD, the SSD is most likely defective. If you put it in the M.2 slot for the WiFi card, it will inherently not detect the SSD as it is not a port for that. Which one of the 5 or 6 S145 do you have? Could you give us your machine code?

tharjr
Paper Tape
Views: 6,339
Message 3 of 13

My laptop is the S145-15IWL Machine Type:81MV. I saw a video on youtube and on lenovo website expaining how to replace the SSD. I put the SSD in the same place of the videos.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 6,336
Message 4 of 13

I hope you didn't manage to somehow insert your M.2 SATA into the M.2 PCIe slot, because there are devices with either one of these options. I don't know which option you have. Do you have another M.2 SATA SSD for testing to make sure the SSD is not defective? You could show a photo of the SSD in the slot you are having right now, that might be helpful.

tharjr
Paper Tape
Views: 6,323
Message 5 of 13

Here goes some pictures. I am pointing to the SSD and where i put it with the screwdriver.

I put the Kingston SSD on Dell laptopt and it worked just fine. However, if I put the Dell's SSD on the Lenovo laptop it was not recognized. Maybe the problem is with the Lenovo laptop or with some BIOS setup.

image1.jpegimage2.jpeg

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 6,320
Message 6 of 13

It looks like it is installed correctly. But as far as I know there are no BIOS settings regarding M.2 slots specifically. Most BIOSes allow you to change between AHCI, RAID and (on older devices) IDE. But that's really it.

tharjr
Paper Tape
Views: 6,318
Message 7 of 13

Well, that's sad....

I am going to return the laptop. I bought it a week ago.

Anyway, thank you very much for the help

tharjr
Paper Tape
Views: 6,303
Message 8 of 13

UPDATE

I just installed a M.2 NVMe SSD Intel series 6 1tb and it worked on the lenovo laptop. Looks like this laptop is not compatible with regular SSD. It's only compatible with NVMe SSDs. There is NO information about this in the user manual.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 6,293
Message 9 of 13

Ah, okay. In that case your slot actually is a M-Key slot and your SSD is a B+M-Key model, which means it actually fits in both slots. M-Key is purely PCIe compatible. A pure B-Key SATA SSD (I don't know if that even exists as I have never seen one, usually SATA SSDs in the M.2 form factor are B+M-Key) would not fit in your slot. Your A400 "concealed" that by being slot-compatible (B+M-Key), but not electrically compatible. Now that I think of it, you can tell it by the side the notch is on. The M-Key is the notch to the right of the port (looking from the screwed-in side of the SSD), while the SATA B-Key is the notch to the left. Yours is on the right. That makes pure B/M-Key SSDs incompatible with the other slot, but the B+M-Keys avoid that incompatibility and lets you put a SATA SSD in the PCIe slot and vice versa due to the notches on both sides, even though they might not be electrically compatible.

arielleon
What's DOS?
Views: 5,462
Message 10 of 13

Hi, i have the same model....and found this:

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Laptops/ideapad%20S145-15IWL/ideapad_S145_15IWL_Pl...

Must be fine A400 or not?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors