Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oskarIT
Punch Card
Views: 9,899
Message 1 of 12

Installing New HDD on New Lenovo Flex 5-1570

I opened my one month old Lenovo Flex 5-1570 to see what is going on inside because what I read / see is confusing and have these questions (I’m aware that my actions may void the warranty):

The maintenance manual say to first unplug the battery plug and then remove the battery but I can’t unplug it. The only place to pull the plug out is the wires and I don’t want to apply too much pressure doing so. I also tried to pry out the plug with no success. Perhaps the plug is locked and I wonder if on the attached picture the 2 small holes shown on the top of the plugs socket are the locks and maybe I should put something to press into these holes to release the plug. Anyone knows if the battery plug is locked?

For the benefit of other users, as per attached picture (noticed I'm only allowed to post 1 picture only) the HDD includes the bracket required to install the HDD and there is no cable required. Looks like the new HDD just plugs in. Also the manual says to remove 2 screws to remove the HDD but there are 3 screws to remove.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,882
Message 2 of 12

Re: Installing New HDD on New Lenovo Flex 5-1570

oskarIT
Punch Card
Views: 9,875
Message 3 of 12

Thanks Bill, you had send me this link on a previous post I had and the Flex 15-1570 shown on these videos is different than mine. The video shows that the battery is removed by unlatching the battery which is located between the 2 screen hinges and pull it out (very easy). On my Flex 15-1570 you have to remove the bottom cover which I did and the battery is inside and next to HDD (see attached picture).

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,871
Message 4 of 12

Maybe 1 day they will get your machine into the training video series.

LOL, my name is not Bill.

I did download HMM for your machine.  Will review it.

I also downloaded your Interior pic.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,863
Message 5 of 12

Battery. Unplug connector. Your 2 holes.JPG is the connector(green).

Two screws are circled here(red).

battery .png

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,852
Message 6 of 12

HMM page 35: HDD:

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/flex_5-1470_5-1570_hmm_201703.pdf

(1)attach bracket to HDD. 4 screws

(2)Insert assembly into machine in HDD area. No Cables needed.

(3)secure assembly with 2 screws.

Page 33 shows direction to remove battery connector.

You probably need to squeeze tabs to get connector out.

Correction [edit].

Use a NON sharp object, baby screw driver to wiggle the connection loose.

See posts below. 

oskarIT
Punch Card
Views: 9,831
Message 7 of 12

Sorry for the name sclexman

I do have the manual and I understand the direction to remove the battery plug but there are no tabs to squeeze. I will try again, perhaps the plug it’s a real tight fit and been new needs some force. Will post again when I succeed.

oskarIT
Punch Card
Views: 9,827
Message 8 of 12

Just got the battery plug removed, VERY difficult. Perhaps there is a special tool to do this which will make the job a lot easier.

I used a tinny flat screwdriver to push out each end little by little and eventually she broke loose. That’s a very dangerous work because the screwdriver slipped and hit the wire and scraped off the insulation. I’m surprised the insulation came off because I was careful and there was almost no force when the screwdriver hit the insulation. Looks like the insulation is of very poor quality to come off so easily and I put some electrical tape around the wire.

The rest is piece of cake. I attach here the HDD bracket which I removed. The memory slot has a thin metal cover which comes off easily to expose the memory stick

oskarIT
Punch Card
Views: 9,810
Message 9 of 12

To conclude this post I like to state that I’m very disappointed with the battery removal process on my Flex-15. There is another video on the web for a Flex-15 and the battery on that video is located between the 2 screen hinges and snaps in/out by pushing 2 external latches without removing the bottom cover.

Another proper way I know is like the Dell and Asus laptops I have and the battery is accessible by removing the bottom cover however after the removal of the battery holding screws the battery / motherboard have male / female metal connectors which they snap together. This is a more expensive alternative than the flimsy plug I have but for an important part like the battery it’s the only way to go.

The battery plug I have is very inexpensive, probably 1/16” thick and made out of very cheap material which is prone to damage and I consider this a very poor engineering practice. I don’t think I will ever remove this plug again because if I do the plug will fall apart and then I will need a new battery.

oskarIT
Punch Card
Views: 9,809
Message 10 of 12

Sorry folks, on my previous post the Flex-15 mentioned should have been Flex 5

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors